Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am creating a layout, using mainly bachmann locomotives, I have caught the eye of one or two Hornby locomotive (steam) but they don't have frony couplings. Is there a way (WITHOUT TAKING IT APART OR UNSCREWING ANYTHING) that I can get them these front couplings?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not 100% sure what you mean by "no front couplings". In general, modern Hornby/Bachmann etc with the exception of the cheaper end of the market tend to supply locos with those horrible toy couplers removed and placed in a bag with the rest of the spares. They are easily fitted though, they just clip in their own little socket. If however you mean screwlink couplers, then firstly there should be some provided along with a hole in the buffer beam (most of the time), if not then many places sell them seperately.

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Might be worth asking which locos in particular have caught your eye? Some have an NEM pocket to accept a supplied clip in tension lock coupling, others have a screw-mounting to take a supplied screw on tension lock coupler. To the best of my knowledge all Hornby's steam models have the option of an easily attachable front coupling; but there is sometimes a choice between havng a detail part in place, or the coupler.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
What you are looking for is a rectangular shaped hole on the front of the front pony truck. If you stare really hard at

the bottom of this photo, you can just make it out. This is an NEM "pocket" and is a standard size. Many types of couplings can be slotted into. Hornby provide a hook and bar coupling in the detail pack which is buried somewhere in the packaging. If you can't find it, you can spares from your local model shop in packs of ten. Alternatively find a friend who uses Kadee and ask if you could have one their redundant Hornby style couplers.

David

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
another issue you might want to consider is...how often, if at all, will these two tender locos be hauling a train, tender-first?

If you intend 'turning' the loco's at the end of a run [on a turntable....or a redundant, Notwork Rail Giant Sky-hand?]...then there may well be no 'need' to fit an automatic couper [Hornby, or whoever..bachmann, etc], thus retaining a more realistic front view?

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
I believe these models have the option of a screw on front coupling rather than an NEM pocket, because they were introduced before Hornby adopted the NEM pocket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I will be using these locos revervising down the line because I am trying to build a heritage railway, and very heritage lines have a turn table. I will ask Hornby about theses two models. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts