Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to model my station area and wondered what suggestions people might have as to what material to sue to 'raise' the buildings etc from the road level?

Should I use plasticard and then cover that with paving sheets?

thanks,

Dave

·
In depth idiot
7,815 Posts
Dave,

I am guessing a little at what you mean by 'to raise the buildings from road level', so if what I have written doesn't help, post a bit more describing what it is you are wanting to do. To make something like a platform, or the level site for a building that is elevated above what will be the general ground surface, I usually use pieces of timber or plywood; whenever possible offcuts (cheap!) from the layout structure construction. This is then covered cosmetically with printed papers, or moulded material for painting, as appropriate to what is being modelled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I did not make myself to clear.

I have a number of buildings on my layout which at the moment are still at road/track level and I wish to elevate them slightly.

thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dave,

You can use any sheet material that you have got to hand.

If you have some suitable ply or soft board, just cut it to size and glue it down with white PVA glue, securing it with panel pins.

If weight is a problem, you could just use card board, with card board spacers glued underneath in a zig zag fashion to give the height you need.

A nice effect is given by a terraced row of buildings beside a road rising up a hill. Each building is set on its own flat base beside the road.

Colombo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts