Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I have wanted to do for years and I have now decided I am ready, With a little help from you lot

I inherited this from my Grandfather many years ago and would love to restore to it's former glory.

I have had the clockwork mechanism professionally repaired and it's running ...... well like clockwork

Now there are alot of bits missing so will prbably need fabricating, but I may also get lucky from some places.

What I really could do with are some pointers on where to start.

Thanks in advance

Cpt Jack

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i supose the first question must be, how far do you want to go with the restoration?

do you want it looking like new? do you want it mearly complete?

personally i think it has far more character the way it is. i would do as you have and get the mechanism repaired but i would leave it at that.

Peter

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 27 Jan 2009, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Personally I would do as Peter suggested - at the most try & locate maybe fabricate missing parts, but keep it in playworn condition.

Yes I think you are right, however at some stage the black has been painted with a matt black which looks very wrong, that's why I was toying with the repaint

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
in that case i would wait untill one fo the big shows where there is a demonstratin of hornby tinplate and have a chat with the people operating it. i am sure most of them will have a large box of spare parts and may well be able to help you out. a good idea would be to have a look through some very old magazines to see if you can find a picture of the loco as it was when it was new. this might give you an idea of what fittings it should have had.

as far as the rear of the cab is concerned i think you are either going to have to fabricate that one for yourself or purchase another loco with a smashed front end! (it sounds difficult but at the O gauge show a few weeks ago there was tons of old tinplate going for silly money.)

Dont be in a hurrey with the project. i suspect its going to take years to get the parts rather than months or weeks.

Peter

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree this is no rush restoration, I would just like to get it all back together and runningin memory of my Grandfather.

I have had a dig around Fleabay and found a couple of bits.

I'm really struggling to find a picture of what it should look like complete.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Capt,

I'm not sure if the hornby companion series books ever covered this loco but a search at the library might help, in the mean time have found this picture for you the only good one available on a google search .....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Upnick, that looks like the electric version with the bulb on the front, However gives me all I need for the look of whats missing.....

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Cpt Jack Sparrow @ 27 Jan 2009, 12:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Upnick, that looks like the electric version with the bulb on the front, However gives me all I need for the look of whats missing.....

Hi Capt,

Thats what i thought after an extensive search on Google most results are for auction items
the model shop where i worked the boss had lots of O gauge locos in bits if i can contact him i will and see what i can find out for you whatg hed has in bits for it.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My knowledge on these items is almost zero,(I would like to start collecting older items as I already collect cars etc...) if I had the same problem I would contact honiton models in devon as the whole shop is full of this stuff

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (frame69 @ 27 Jan 2009, 15:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My knowledge on these items is almost zero,(I would like to start collecting older items as I already collect cars etc...) if I had the same problem I would contact honiton models in devon as the whole shop is full of this stuff

Thanks for that, used to live down that way, and my parents still do. I feel a visit coming on.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Capt,

I got hold of my old boss he has sold all his stock of parts on now he doesnt have the shop sorry i tried ...... how are things going with the restoration

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Upnick

thanks for checking that for me,

As for the restoration, I am at the moment collecting missing parts, also the is one of these on ebay at themoment in a sorry state, but has all of the bits I need, so fingers crossed the weekend may be fruitful........

Cheers

Cpt Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts