Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big story on national news this morning is crossing safety. I dont know the details of every accident but find it hard to see where the difficulty is in crossing a railway track whether its on a crossing or not. I've spent a fair bit of time around railway works and they are not very small or quiet,even electric locos.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose thats the only explanation for it, I've taken chances myself but only ones I know are going to work.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There's something about being enclosed in a metal box with the apparent ability to drive where they like that gives certain people a sense of total invulnerability.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 4 Feb 2009, 08:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's something about being enclosed in a metal box with the apparent ability to drive where they like that gives certain people a sense of total invulnerability.

Especially if they are driving a 4X4!!!!!!!

Kind regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I can see the local level crossing from my office window and have to cross it almost everyday unless I want to take a detour round the madness that is our High street and I must admit Ive never seen anyone taking chances there. ts gated and the signal box it right next to it and the trains aint going that fast because the station is less that 100m from the crossing so they are either slowing or accelerating. Down the line about 400m there is another crossing that is a manual type. you have to open and close the gates your self but as far as I know its only really used by the farmer who's land is on ther other side.
I really cant understand why people are in such a hurry that they would risk their own lives and others to beat the train!
Steve

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
even more strange, it appears that only CERTAIN level crossings have these problems.......Carnaby crossing, near Bridlington is one.

there is a need for full barriers at some of these isolated crossings.

I'd be a crossing keeper, for an adequate remuneration, and a nice cottage by the trackside......better than the too-hectic life many of us lead?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
What ever safety measures are put in place I still cant see how you can get run over by a train, crossing a track should be easy. There are no blind bends,you cover the width of the track (even two) in a couple of seconds,trains are big/noisy even electric ones. When I worked for avon and somerset highways I had to cross six lanes of motorway and Im still alive. I've been run over twice on small roads but thats a different story

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 4 Feb 2009, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got run over in Cardiff.

Is that normal?
My 1st was bristol at the age of three,just learned to walk the ended up back in a pushchair for eight months,thanks mum! Funnily about a week later the garage of a suspected hit and run driver was burned down by locals fed up with his reckless driving!!! Second was down to drunken carelessness on my behalf.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 4 Feb 2009, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got run over in Cardiff.

Is that normal?

I suppose iy depends what ran you over!

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Perhaps it was a herd of sheep, then it wouldnt be unusual!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts