Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I think your best bet is to check out what the continental kit makers have to offer - Faller, Pola, Vollmer, Kibri, etc. especially if you want a continental flavoured viaduct like the RhB photo you've referenced. The RhB is exceedingly popular as a model influence, so someone may have something to suit.

I don't know how difficult it would be to scratchbuild some like this since I don't know whether the arches themselves are wider on the outside than the inside, and if they are, how the brickwork on the inside of the arches is laid.

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
There used to be a British company that did vacuum formed stuff like this. It would have been easy to curve. Unfortunately I can't recall the name.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
What I did is order one, paint it finished etc, scanned it and coppied it onto art board, I then produced a viaduct 14ft long, using a suitable timber frame, it look fantastic and cost pennies.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Whats artboard?

I am building one of these too which I am covering on my blog. I was broadly speaking, following the method Graham Plowman had used on his. I have built the wooden structural frame and am deciding on what would be best to put the viaduct shape on with.

I am looking at corkboard at the moment but feel it is not strong enough. I was wondering how plaster would apply to card? Would it stick well or would it become soggy and slide off? I had thougfht of using thin wood but I can't find any anywhere. I had also thought of getting a wills kit and slightly melting the plastic in order to bend it but the size of the arch in the inner and outer sides is different so that is a non starter. So any suggestions for something to apply the pollyfilla to would be appreciated. I wonder if plaster soaked bandages on top of polystyrene would be the go?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Have you considered using artists' / photographers' mounting board? I'm using a 2mm thick version of this as backing for the retaining wall units I am building. The material seems to be very stable. I leave it on the floor in the loft and it has shown no tendency to swell or buckle due to atmospheric changes.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Feb 2007, 09:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you considered using artists' / photographers' mounting board? I'm using a 2mm thick version of this as backing for the retaining wall units I am building. The material seems to be very stable. I leave it on the floor in the loft and it has shown no tendency to swell or buckle due to atmospheric changes.

David
I'll have a look at it. I am assuming that it is flexible as I'll need it to follow the curve of the viaduct.

I guess art shops will carry this.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Flexible - yes, certainly enough for what you need.

>I guess art shops will carry this.
They should do. My nearest model shop is almost 25 miles away, but my local town has an art shop.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Feb 2007, 09:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Flexible - yes, certainly enough for what you need.

>I guess art shops will carry this.
They should do. My nearest model shop is almost 25 miles away, but my local town has an art shop.

David
You know when you mentioned this it dawned on me that I have only looked in hardware and DIY shops for modelling materials. I should really have had a look in art shops. Why didn't this occur to me before?
It seems so obvious now.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
well there are two main cheep options:

1, buy the wills viaduct kit which may not end up being all that cheep but easy to build.

2, buy several of the Hornby viaducts cut out the track bed, split them down the middle line the arches with embost plasticard and there you have it.

there is a third:

3, spend hours and hours moulding one using plaster.

personally I would got for number 2 as its simple and easy to get a good result first time and cheep and you can get two styiles or arch.

Pete

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 4 Feb 2007, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am looking at corkboard at the moment but feel it is not strong enough. I was wondering how plaster would apply to card? Would it stick well or would it become soggy and slide off? I had thougfht of using thin wood but I can't find any anywhere. I had also thought of getting a wills kit and slightly melting the plastic in order to bend it but the size of the arch in the inner and outer sides is different so that is a non starter. So any suggestions for something to apply the pollyfilla to would be appreciated. I wonder if plaster soaked bandages on top of polystyrene would be the go?

Hi Neil,

The viaduct is looking good. Another source of card, which I may have mentioned on another thread, is the card that large department stores use for advertising in their windows etc. This is fairly flexible and certainly here in the UK is requently available free. (If you ask nicely)

Hope that is of asistance.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Thanks John. I will start experimenting with various options soon once I have all of the first layer of track down. I am going to have a look at an art shop to see what options are available. I had a look on the internet and was surprised at all the available items that would suit. A lot of plaster modelling mediums were quite cheap so I will be looking into this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you want a ready made item still, try Faller they have a double track curved viaduct, inside radius 360, outer 437, gaugemaster stock it as item 120485 @ £39.50

1 - 19 of 19 Posts