Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 26 Jan 2008, 11:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The limit for gifts is £36.00. For purchases it's £18.00.
HMRC says, if you purchase goods from suppliers marked as a gift and if the declaration is found to be false or misleading you may be liable to financial penalties or criminal prosecution.

OK but if the supplier labels it as a gift, why would I be liable? Surely the supplier is liable if they mislead Customs?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Poliss, OK but then we are lucky Down Under. We could import upto £200 ($500) & I believe it is now £400 ($1000) without incurring any Customs charges.
The reason was, so I was told, is that it was not worth their time & costs to do the paperwork for this amount of money.

Some models are about the same price here in Oz either imported direct or via local shops, others are far cheaper to import & others items, the only place to get them is from overseas.
At least when we purchase from the UK, we do not have VAT to pay so that saving pays for postage.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have no problems with an import tax as long as the items are also made in the country where one lives - that way the tax tends to protect home grown industries but otherwise it is a blantant rip off by governments of all shades & colours!!

Some people may say, "Yes - tax should be paid on importing decoders considering Hornby, a UK company sells them"
but decoders are not the same - as we know, the amount of varities is huge. Yes. protect the local industry if they make the almost identical units, electrically & mechanically.

Rant over

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Poliss, your comment " I'd go for just having income tax myself and abolishing all other taxes"

Yes, I would definitely go for that as I , now being an aged pensioner, pays no income tax at all & thus abolishing other taxes would be a real bonus !!
Of course in some cases, they are not called a tax, but a levy or admin charge.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.