Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Ive ordered four MRC sound decoders from America at £15 pounds each, total bill £67 with shipping. Arrived home from work today and found card from Royal Mail to pick up item from sort depot, but there will be £18.48 customs charge. This seems a bit excessive, how do they work out this charge and has anyone else had a similar experience?.

I was once charged for a second hand item I won on EBay which was £20 pounds from Gurnsey and the duty was £41 pounds. I could have bought item brand new for £35 in town. Fed up with charges don't the goverment get enough of my money as it is.

Regards Baz

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response, I will know better from now on.
I will try to keep it at a low price or go UPS.

They have included a handling charge of a pound so hopfully won't have any more to pay.

Many Thanks Baz

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
"I guess question #1 is with UK being hot on charging tax on private imports why not simply support you local retailers for as much as you can if the savings are minimal or zero if U get nabbed...... I do understand buying OS if big savings are possible BUT bear in mind that the local business needs feeding too - or are you willing to lose him for a few pence saved on a couple of decoders?"

I always support my local model shop when I can but they can't supply everything I want, so I look else where.
The decoders in question were MRC American sound decoders which to my knowledge are not available in the UK. As for a few pence saved that is not why I looked to the states its just a case that was the only place I could get them.
I think I am quite within my right to buy from where ever I want it's my money.

I would like to know how the customs actually come to that price! There was a handling charge of £1 so I still paid £17.48 on £60.00 pounds worth. To me that seems more than just VAT.

It was not UPS that was used just Royal Mail who in the past I have always found pretty good.

Regards Baz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.