Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (alanb @ 26 Jan 2008, 06:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you do not want too much of a shock, do not have your supplies sent from the states by UPS.

The post office is a lottery. I have had four parcels in the last year, from £35 to £75, and all have come through without payment. One was in December.

I ordered a Prodigy Advanced 2 and assumed it would be sent by post.

It was sent by UPS. You will always pay with UPS, and they charge £11 for the privilege of charging you. They also add import VAT on the cost of the item PLUS the cost of carriage. They will deliver after phoning you to accept the charge, and you pay on the doorstep.

Alan
This is my experience too. Whether I have had items delivered to here in Ozz or at home in the UK I have found UPS to be the worst possible method of delivery as it can often double the end cost. I have chosen not to buy from some delaers who only offer UPS as an overseas delivery method. You will most definitely be charged extra if you use UPS.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 27 Jan 2008, 07:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My problem with UPS is that they don't "play it by the book". They seem to make up a random amount that you have to pay. That is why I will never use them again and I know I am far from alone in this opinion of them.

If you are going to buy from abroad, make sure the goods won't be carried by UPS and then you know that best case you will pay nothing, worst case you will pay the correct duty/vat plus the £8 charge.

Rob
I agree with Rob on this. There doesn't seem to be any direct relation between the value of the goods and the extra charged. e.g. I had a carpet delivered from India to Scotland a few years back and the "tax or duty" charged was the same as the cost of the carpet.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 27 Jan 2008, 23:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably best we leave this here! When it comes to buying local, living where I do I have very little choice. I do try and mail order from the mainland where ever possible but as its a choice of mail order from mainland uk or europe or USA....I don't think it makes a huge difference. I'm sure its the same for a lot of us that don't live in areas full of model shops.

Rob
I think that sums it up fairly reasonably. Part of the problem is that you are not made aware of these surcharges beforehand and if you had have been you may not have made the purchase. If you are a retailer who is going to use UPS then please notify your customers so they can make a more informed calculation on the gross costs.

I also was notified that a post was reported on this thread but there was no clarification on what the issue was, having read through the thread a couple of times I am no further forward in seeing what the issue was as no details were put forward of what was alleged to be offensive. I can only assume that the post was reported by accident. It might well be time to draw a line under this as all opinion has been expressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.