Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I can only echo what has been said about UPS. Avoid them like the plague! A few years back I ordered a Lenz set 100 from one shop in the states and one decoder from another shop. The set 100 came through surface mail. Total customs charge: £21. The decoder ($17 worth) came via UPS two days later with a nice bill of £42. After a lot of questioning, it turned out UPS had made a mistake, but they refused to back down so I didn't pay the money and the decoder was eventually destroyed by RM. Lovely...

I still buy a lot of stuff from the US and now that I won't use UPS I haven't been hit with any unfair charges.

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 26 Jan 2008, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It seems that UPS are being flamed for playing it by the book. At the end of the day other carriers will follow, the technology will catch up & duty and/or VAT will have to be paid on everything - at least, that way the playing field will be a little more level.

My problem with UPS is that they don't "play it by the book". They seem to make up a random amount that you have to pay. That is why I will never use them again and I know I am far from alone in this opinion of them.

If you are going to buy from abroad, make sure the goods won't be carried by UPS and then you know that best case you will pay nothing, worst case you will pay the correct duty/vat plus the £8 charge.

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 27 Jan 2008, 07:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they don't make anything up - its all laid down in writing! You could probably work out their costs in advance if you visited their website.

I would really like to believe this, but from personal experience I can't. If anyone can show me or explain why one should pat a total of £42 tax/duty on a $17 decoder I'll be happy to listen. I spent a fair bit of time trying to work it out myself and several phone calls to UPS who showed no interest in helping me. Their attitude was at best disinterested.

After receiving quite a few similar complaints, the shop in question now no longer uses UPS.

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Probably best we leave this here! When it comes to buying local, living where I do I have very little choice. I do try and mail order from the mainland where ever possible but as its a choice of mail order from mainland uk or europe or USA....I don't think it makes a huge difference. I'm sure its the same for a lot of us that don't live in areas full of model shops.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.