Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Many years ago there was a Model shop in york way, at the side of kings X station, London, its gone now, but i was asked to leave that shop, my offence !! i was 12 years old, I wonder why it closed?

Asked to leave because you were 12?
Pull the other one. There were plenty of young customers that went to that shop, and they were encouraged to model as that meant they would put there pocket money over the counter.
There were certainly difficult customers, the mentally ill, as well as the odd one or two that were just plain unpleasant, but some people are like that. Of those asked to leave, there was usually a very good reason behind it, suspicion of shoplifting, buying solvents, harrasing other customers, one who asked to use the loo and then 'mainlined' in the loo. Someone then had to get her out onto the street again. The old trick of paying for a tin of paint with a fiver and claiming it was a twenty, that sort of stuff, those are the sort of reasons, not because you were aged twelve! I can't recall anyone being banned, and you certainly wouldn't have been asked to leave just because of your age, if you were asked to leave there would have been good reason behind it, I have no doubt of that.
If you're wondering why it closed, you obviously have no idea of London commercial rates. The shop premises came to the end of their lease and the rates were put up astronomically, making the running of a hobby shop unviable. That is the main reason why.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thunderer, my apologies, I hadnt arrived by 61! I guess in 61 they may have done things a little differently twenty years before I was there! I've mistaken you for someone else
Certainly a short sighted 'policy' if that occurred.

When I was there the street life around KX was a little more ah.... 'entertaining' shall I say, resulting in some very quick growing up to deal with it and its side effects!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.