Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local branch of Wickes (normally I use timber yards) now have a cutting service for sheet materials. As I am in the process of building new fiddle yards for St.Laurent I thought it would save time & hassle to get the plywood cut accurately - & it certainly did.

The prices were comparable to the local timber yard & the service quick - however, you get 4 free cuts per sale & then 50p per cut (still not bad anyway). So, my 3 sheets = 4 free cuts.

Turns out if you want more cuts it's more cost effective to buy each sheet individually ! It's just the way it works.

DB's money saving tip of the day !

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
B&Q and most Homebase stores have had sheet cutting facilities for some time. The smaller of my two local Homebase stores however rarely seems to have anyone available to operate the machine!

You need to allow about 2-3mm for the sawblade width when working out how you want your sheet(s) cut, by the way.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 14 Jul 2007, 10:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The smaller of my two local Homebase stores however rarely seems to have anyone available to operate the machine!
Regards,
John Webb

I have found this at my local one and thats a full size store.

Regards

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts