Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Hi everyone, I knwo it IS christmas too so.. ya.. I made a post here a while ago, Showing the very few american rolling stock i had and one loco, But I have dug out everything from my past, stored away for... must be about 10 years now. some of it less. my british railway stuff, and well some from around europe too, Came from my childhood! where I did not know anything about trains, so I think it is sort out time,

Heres my europian stuff, Mostly hornby couple of triang, and some other forgoten companys in there. I used to just buy boxes of cheap things, so i have lots.. of damaged things, broken parts, and missing parts.. im sure i can make somethign with it tho
, But I belive most of it is british and german, Ill do some research, Im keen to start it all again with a British railway,

Some stuff in boxes to the left, the 08 shunter has not even been used that much,

So hello again, Hopefully I will be a more active member now.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Junkheap and welcome to the MRF.

That's certainly a pretty eclectic collection you have there but I'm sure something can be made of it. How about a modern image main line with a preserved branch line ?

The main thing is to enjoy the hobby and don't be afraid to ask for help and advice if you get stuck. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to help others.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forum Junkheap

Your post reminds me of what I have been doing over the last year or so
Pulling everything out -it is like Christmas - I have since sold most of my loco's that had the same running numbers and thinned out my rolling stock collection a fair bit . Did the same with track as well sold around 50m of straight (Fleischmann 6101) track- graceful curves are my new plan-and all to finance DCC conversions

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, well thanks everyone, a warm welcome it seems, I wanted to get rid of some things, but im the type of person who puts too much value on objects, for example, the intercity was the first ever model rail i had, given to me at christmas many years back, the little black 0-4-0 was the first loco i ever went and bought myself, See this is the problem when i was a kid i just bought what i liked the look of, and got other random stock as gifts, but now that I understand a little more im a person who likes.. realisem, but the problem is I stil dont fully know what period some liverys were used, i mostly go off what the hornby site days, i look for locos that have current period.. Only i cant find my 08 shunter on the site, did they stop making my livery? or what area some go togeather,

Basicaly because money is a problem, ill admit my main love is cars, so my car gets the most of it, but this is a great hobby that i have loved in my past, What i wanted to do is build aroudn what i have, so as sugested the preserved railway sounds a good idea, I was allways a freight person realy, Other issue is space,

AH well first i will try work on the scenery, I havent tryed to make anything for a while, Ill come back post when i have something to show,
Later people,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Welcome JunkHeap. I'm sure people here can help with livery details and the like -- I'm very impressed by how helpful everyone is!

I'm exactly the same about 'the old stuff'. My first model was a 1980's Hornby HST, and as a model it's pretty awful. Whole chunks of the power car below the solebar missing, trailers about 8 scale feet too short and air tanks that move with the rear bogie. But I'll never get rid of it -- I still hitched it up to three Procor hoppers and used them to ferry crisps around the table at my 8th birthday party.

And it's got lights!

Tom

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi there Junkheap and welcome to MRF.

There's some good stuff in that lot for starting out.

Looks like the hobby is going to be fun for you.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 5 Jan 2009, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I still have my first Loco (Fleischmann 1306) and have converted it to DCC

I too have mine, converted to DCC - 01 220 cat # 4170 retail (mid 70's) about £25 (how much ?, was the cry from UK modellers), now usually fetching around £70 + on fleabay.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 6 Jan 2009, 03:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too have mine, converted to DCC - 01 220 cat # 4170 retail (mid 70's) about £25 (how much ?, was the cry from UK modellers), now usually fetching around £70 + on fleabay.

Hi Brian , I could only dream of the 01 220 #4170
The funny thing was I thought the 1306 (4200) O&K diesel would look good double headed , like the 72 Catalog showed 2 of the v100 so with my next lot of pocket money I ordered another one plus a BR80 #4029 plus some other wagons . then an older cousin sent over his collection for me as well and I ended up with 4 of the little O&K Diesels

The 4200 is another model that there is no insulated backplate available like the 1315 ,4201 , 1632 or 4369 and 4370

makes this hobby great and different for everybody

Regards

Zmil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Zmil,

Mid 70's I sold my entire UK collection to end up with ;

01 220 #4170 (which I still have)
64 425 #4064 (not too sure if the #'s are correct)
80 005 #4029

all brand new - I then spent something like £35 to purchase five Rowa wagons & a Rowa catalogue - once I had seen the close coupling mechanisms & lights that was it - no looking back & to think that the European modeller had these features 35 years ago !

I also remember attending a FLM factory technical course in the late 70's when the little O&K Diesels were used on the test tracks - I thought at the time that they were a little "toy like", but I've been told since that they are quite a good model of the real thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts