Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Being new to dcc i would like some advice as to the conversion of the dapol class 73 chassis, first of all there are two capacitors fitted to it one on the top of the motor and one below it are these to be removed when running it on dcc, secondly if i remove the lighting copper contacts as they dont pick up from the chassis now and proceed to wire the front light unit with the positive leg going to the blue wire on the decoder negative with a resistor in line to the white wire and the rear light unit with positive goin to the blue wire and the negative to the yellow wire will it be directional lighting as it originally came ? also is it neccessary to put a resistor in line for the rear light, is my wiring proceedure correct.

Many thanks in advance.

upnick.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 27 May 2008, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
Being new to dcc i would like some advice as to the conversion of the dapol class 73 chassis, first of all there are two capacitors fitted to it one on the top of the motor and one below it are these to be removed when running it on dcc, secondly if i remove the lighting copper contacts as they dont pick up from the chassis now and proceed to wire the front light unit with the positive leg going to the blue wire on the decoder negative with a resistor in line to the white wire and the rear light unit with positive goin to the blue wire and the negative to the yellow wire will it be directional lighting as it originally came ? also is it neccessary to put a resistor in line for the rear light, is my wiring proceedure correct.

Many thanks in advance.

upnick.

***Hi

Yes, remove the capacitors. Yes you can/should remove the strips of they are no longer being used for the lighting

Yes, the blue wire is the common positive for the decoder, not negative - important to know if U are using LEDs! You can use one resistor on the blue wire and then after the resistor direct to both LED - this saves space which is important in N scale!

White and yellow can then be direct to the front/rear LED

Yes, this will make it directional - that is the default setup of all decoders that I know of.

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 27 May 2008, 14:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi

Yes, remove the capacitors. Yes you can/should remove the strips of they are no longer being used for the lighting

Yes, the blue wire is the common positive for the decoder, not negative - important to know if U are using LEDs! You can use one resistor on the blue wire and then after the resistor direct to both LED - this saves space which is important in N scale!

White and yellow can then be direct to the front/rear LED

Yes, this will make it directional - that is the default setup of all decoders that I know of.

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

Hi Richard,

Just track tested the 73 on address 3 and it works fine, thanks for the information cuppa time and then on with the lighting.

Regards.

upnick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts