Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 8 Jan 2009, 16:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are quite a few 73s in preservation, several in the Forest of Dean and one at Ruddington. So perhaps you could say that in your parallel universe one of the SWT ones has also been preserved?

Hi all,

One of the planned 'specials' for Solsbury Hill is a SWT/Pullman Class 73 double-headed rake of Mk. 1 Pullmans (ducking for cover now
).

Regards.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (mickelmass @ 9 Jan 2009, 10:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What or where is Solsbury Hill? And why would there be a SWT and Pullman liveried class 73 there?

from
Confused of Rochester

Hi mickelmass,

Sorry for any confusion, you'll find Solsbury Hill on the 'On My Layout' section - it's my parallel universe (thanks Edwin
) layout under construction.

They'll be there because I say so

I try very hard not to confuse, but at 52 I guess I'll have to accept it as an integral part of my mindset and say "sorry" when it gets out of hand.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
[quote name='mickelmass' date='10 Jan 2009, 11:10' post='74136']
I took a looksee at you layout and I must say, I am very impressed to say the least! Did you use a CAD program for the design stage? I tried to find a free program for designing layouts but alas, I couldn't find one, with the exception of the XTrkCad Program which is free but I am afraid I couldn't get to grips with that at all although it's quite a good program?

Thanks for your kind words Mike,

I resorted to good old fashioned pen and paper as a starting point, then scanned that into 'Microsoft Paint' to colour it in, the same again with the digital camera shots to get the visualisation of where I wanted to go - all very basic compared to the design software available but it's about the level my brainpower can get to grips with.

I have so much stock and not enough layout at the moment but I hope to extend very soon. It's only at the experimental stage at the moment and it will most definately be a flat layout with no high lever tracks as I am no good at all with designing and making that type of layout, so flat it shall have to be. Anyway, seeing as it will be based very loosly on Didcot, with preserved GWR in the centre but modern image on the main, it should be OK as the Didcot area is very flat anyway owning to it being that massive junction.

I moved to this location just over a year ago and couldn't help myself speculating about expanding the design to the available space, and came up with this rough notion:

... but quickly thought better of it as the original design with just three boards is taking forever to work on with the back injury I have, another two boards would have resulted in madness, no doubt about it
so I didn't do any detail design. If you're going to be modelling a realistic traffic flow then you can't do better than follow Grahame's comments above, but this is what I meant by my earlier comments if you are going to invoke 'Modellers License':

... the front portion of 'The (Leyton) Orient Express'

Anyway, your buildings look magnificent and I can't wait to see the finished layout! Thanks for you help.

Again, thanks for your comments, it's good to get a more thorough idea of what you're working towards - good luck with that. I can't wait to see my finished layout either

Regards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.