Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years i have built several 00 gauge steam loco kits and one O gauge kit, with reasonable results, in the November issue of BRM theres a annual catalogue for Dapol model Railways, i see they have a OO kit for the deltic C009, has any one buildt this kit? is it possible to adapt it to run? and does it have good detail? this would be my first diesel build if i go ahead with it, so any pointers, or things to watch for would be most welcome, incidently, alot of the kit range in this catalogue, looks remarkably like the kits i used to buy as a lad from woolworths, at 2 bob a go in old money (10 pence) and sixpece for the glue (2.5 pence) but i dont remember this kit, was it around then? i do remember rosebud done a deltic (at least i think it was rosebud or was it kitmaster) any way, i look forward to any replies.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Dapol Deltic is the old Kitmaster one. I constructed one of the these many years ago, and motorised it as well with Triang bogies which were not quite right! I still have it, although dismantled to fit more accurate bogies.

Try searching the Forum for 'Deltic' and 'Kitmaster' - there was a lengthy thread a couple or more years ago about these models which may be of interest to you.

I think it was in that thread that someone pointed out that the Dapol version has lost a little accuracy due to wear and tear on the moulds over the years. It certainly does not measure up to the Deltic models issued recently by the NRM/Bachmann - but is a lot cheaper!

Regards,
John Webb

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
I have posted a little bit about using the Dapol kit in the nearby NRM Deltic thread. Basically with careful construction and a good paint finish it can look very well indeed, and is cheap enough that you can buy a couple, one to practice on, one for the 'finish job'. And something like this as a project makes a great start on the art of modelling railway vehicles. The huge diversity of what ran on rails means there will always be interesting items not available RTR; having the ability to make the item for yourself is very satisfying.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just bought one of these myself today, had a quick look at the kit and it seems fairly good.

Will start construction tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.....

Cpt Jack

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, all helpfull stuff, will lookforward to hearing how the the deltic goes that C.J.S has purchased, then will probrably attempt this project myself.

Kind regards

John

·
Registered
284 Posts
Morning.

Construction has commence, very simple and a good fit on all the parts. The only issue so far has been the long body parts ie sides and chassis, hve 'bent' in storage. I rand them under the hot tap, flexed them back and run under cold. This solved the issue.

Bogies went together simply and run smooth and straight on track.

For under £8 I think this is well worth buying just for the experience.

I'm going to build this one, then buy another to super detail for my layout as a static in the engine sheds.

Cheers

Cpt Jack

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (Cpt Jack Sparrow @ 16 Nov 2008, 19:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Morning.

Construction has commence, very simple and a good fit on all the parts. The only issue so far has been the long body parts ie sides and chassis, hve 'bent' in storage. I rand them under the hot tap, flexed them back and run under cold. This solved the issue.

Bogies went together simply and run smooth and straight on track.

For under £8 I think this is well worth buying just for the experience.

I'm going to build this one, then buy another to super detail for my layout as a static in the engine sheds.

Cheers

Cpt Jack

Are the windows included? I bought the Dapol deltic kit a few years ago and it contained a message with the parts that read something to the effect that there were no glazing parts included as the tooling for these parts had been lost or damaged.

Dave

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
The glazing tool was lost. An independent replacement has been available, from 'Flush glaze' I believe. Alternatively if going the motorisation route using the Bach Deltic, much of the glazing from the Bach body can be reused.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts