Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the new Dapol 00 gauge Grampus arrive yesterday and first impression straight out of the box is a very nice wagon indeed. The body moulding looks spot on and even the foot steps are well made and surprisigly robust. Finish is matt black with white lettering and sharply printed. However, as i use 3 link couplings I started to dismantle it on the work bench, undone the two small screws on the chassis and gently squeezed in the body fixing lugs (similar to the 21t hopper). Nothing seemed to be moving and then i spotted the cause, some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to GLUE the body to the chassis making it a task to seperate the two, real 21st century engineering here! For those of us that detail, paint or convert our wagons this seems a backwards step that makes no sense? I have emailed Dapol but am not expecting a reply

Paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
It certainly would appear to be a retrograde step - possibly a rogue model?

Regards

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The Grampus that has been released uses an existing chassis tooling which has been adopted for the NEM mount. A version with a different entirely new chassis (different brake arrangement) which the body is more accurate for will be released later.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
To glue or not to glue ?

A lot of the later FLM rolling stock that I have is all "clip fit". The problems arise when you try to re-assemble one after modification/taken a tumble - they are fiddly (hence a flying coach a few years ago). They must have jigs in the factory or some very dextorous assemble people.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Brian you forgot about rule one

Any opening of the body voids the warranty

Rule two states

Parts can only be used once, if a part is removed, it must be replaced with a brand new part.

Rule three

If in doubt refer rule 1

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts