Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I absolutely agree with Richard.....the issue is the ''check rail gauge '' on both points AND wheelsets.....deep flanges detract from the look of the model [we all critiscise old Triang, Lima etc???]...and can also lead a maker to use UNDERSIZE wheels to compensate for the deeper flanges.

If the check rail gauge is correct and consistant...even the check rails themselves should show no signs of contact with the wheelsets.

since it is doubtful you will be able to measure the 'check rail gauge' on the wheelsets themselves...[back of one wheel flange, to rail-side face of opposite flange]....then ''back-to-back'' measurement and adjustment is all that one can do.

this is the main ADVANTAGE of hand-made trackwork.....it can be made to work correctly....and that I find preferable to even 'appearances''.....there is something appealing to me about the smooth, seamless transition of stock over a correctly-engineered point....

even the absence of chairs or proper fixings in miniature doesn't irk me as much as the bumbling progress of stock through even the likes of Peco points.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Again I agree...this also can happen in other scales.... a deeper flange does not solve the problem, merely masks it.

track alignment needs care......I have found with Peco points that the straight stock rail can sometimes be moved a tiny bit.....accidentally.

ensuring the stock rail is in the correct position in relation to the curved blade eases the situation....

sometimes a barely percetable kink can occur when joining a turnout directly to a curve........this 'kink' may create a localised tightening of track radius which is intolerable to a long [effective] wheelbase bogie or truck.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
narrowing the B2B is a rare need..usually they need widening.....perhaps you need to actually gauge the b2b accurately?

what you are demanding is, for makers to produce rolling stock that runs reliably over indifferent track.

check the stock rail position of the actual point concerned.....try and see 'why' the blade fails to sit snugly into the stock rail.

also, check out the centre axles/wheelsets of the Dapol loco......they MAY be incorrectly adjusted....ie might need 'narrowing' a bit....to give a bit of play so the front wheels aren't stuck in a rigid wheelbase problem......especially if that particular place on your track does have a localised radius issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts