Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

Unigate had several sidings at it's depots in the West Country. On the Western region there were sidings at St Erth, Camborne probably closed in the late sixties, Lostwithiel; on the Southern there were sidings at Torrington, Chard Junc and Semley. All the above processing sites, except Chard, are now closed. Chard siding is still extant but has not been used for many years. The MMB looked at reopening it but it came to nothing.

In West Wales Camarthen and Whitaland had rail links. If my memoery serves me well all the above, except Camborne, were operating in the Seventies. Semley had been proposed as a major site site but road won the day and Wincanton Transport built the Aldermeads reload depot at Wincanton.

Sparkford, like many small daries in Dorset and Somerset, also had a siding but I have no memeory of that being used, although it is possible to see the site of it at what is now the Haynes Car Manual factory.

I believe milk was railed to Vauxhall and Iford.

Hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.