Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest versions of the Dapol class 73 locos are available now. Excellent though they are, my personal feeling is that Dapol may be heading towards a trend of making too many types.

One each of the Pullman and NSE locos would have been enough at this time, leaving something for the future if the models prove to have a long and popular life. Or is this another manifestation of the market where small runs of many different models become hard to find or too many for the true enthusiast to afford at one time ?

This in no way detracts from my appreciation of these fine models. They have superb performance, and are very well detailed and finished. Congratulations to Dapol for getting the model right, but please don't swamp the customer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting this. I personally would like to see manufacturers adopting 'standard' ranges, with the odd one offs. So rather than mucking about with two different numbers released at once, they just release one and leave it to the modeller to change the number. Unumbered would be even better, but hey, we are always told there's no demand.

So in the case of the Dapol 73/1, they could have a permanent range in the following liveries:

Electric Blue (carried by all class members)
BR Blue (carried by all class members)
Large Logo
Early Intercity (carried by all class members)
Intercity Swallow
Dutch
Gatwick Express
GBRalifreight

This should ensure steady sales from the modellers market.

To ensure steady sales from the collectors market, the numbers carried could change each year. Liveries which were not widely carried (eg NSE, EW&S, Mainline Blue, SouthWest Trains variations, Pullman) could follow the current 'limited run' practise.

Just a thought

Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (MRE @ 14 May 2005, 00:29)The latest versions of the Dapol class 73 locos are available now. Excellent though they are, my personal feeling is that Dapol may be heading towards a trend of making too many types.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That depends. I want at least 4 for my layout and possibly 6. If Dapol release as many variants as they are planning on doing then that would suit me down to the ground. I could get the amount I would like and not have to worry about re-painting or re-numbering any.

I've already got the Royal Alex Pullman, am looking at an Intercity and a Dutch and would like a couple of BR Blue ones as well.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would think that the answer depends on who's answering it. For the collector having to many models issues can be a problem. For the operator who needs a particular liver I would expect this is not even an issue, save any cancern they may have for the long term health of the issuing company. Since I am a collector of stamps also, this is a big problem but when it comes to model railroad I'm more of an operator than a collector so in this instance I say bring it on.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Worthwhile looking at the new releases for January. The etched metal nameplates are presently under manufacture and will be fitted without any extra cost to every GBRf model. Class 66's:-

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
318 Posts
Class 73s never carried the 'electric' blue livery. The SEmG will confirm this. The JA 73/0s started life in green and all the JB 73/1s entered service in corporate blue although the first 17 or so also carried a grey lower body/sole bar level band.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Grahame @ 7 Jan 2006, 00:56)Class 73s never carried the 'electric' blue livery. The SEmG will confirm this. The JA 73/0s started life in green and all the JB 73/1s entered service in corporate blue although the first 17 or so also carried a grey lower body/sole bar level band.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Found this info on the SEmG website - http://www.semg.org.uk/electric/class73_07.html

QUOTE The JBs were initially painted in the pleasant "electric" blue - as also worn by the contemporary AC electrics - with a light grey band at solebar level and small yellow warning panels. Published accounts are inconclusive whether all JBs were out-shopped in electric blue or just the early ones. Thereafter the warning panels became full height and the whole fleet had succumbed to overall blue BR corporate livery by 1970.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Unfortunately that is old information that hasn't been updated - recent discussion has concluded and agreed that they entered service in corporate blue based on colour photographs, witnesses and as documented in books such as 'Diesel and Electric Locomotives of the Southern Region' by Pallent and Bird who quote "they (JBs) entered service in the blue livery which at the time was beginning to obliterate the last shreds of regional individuality in rolling stock colour". Also check with the SEG. And with the recently repainted 73 in what was claimed to be 'the original electric blue' but on inspection and comparison turns out to be corporate blue.

What needs to be remembered is that at the time of the introduction of JBs and corporate blue there wasn't the paint/pigment technical advances we currently enjoy and many depots had slight variations from the reference colour. For example it has always been considered that the corporate blue used by Eastleigh tended to have a more turquoise hue than others. Plus, of course, the paints of yesteryear were not as stable as current samples and faded or discoloured at lot more quickly and easily. Once the gloss surface was removed by washing machine chemicals and the bleaching effect of sunlight, pictures do appear to show that some 73s were in a strange light blue colour.

Also don't forget that memory has never been a very reliable source of accurate information particularly as many consider that the past was alway much rosier, brighter and sunnier that it really was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts