Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

Over the last few months, I have collected quite a few Dapol and GFbyB Class 66's. The Dapol ones I own, have the small switch on the bottom to change the lights from day to night operation (what a waste of time that is)! However, I have just receive a couple of Dapol GBRf/First Low Emission Class 66's and although I have read somewhere, that these particular class 66's do not have the day/night switch on them, I have noticed that there is only a marker light working in one direction and in the other direction of travel, there is a marker light and a top headlight? Is this how the low emission ones are supposed to operate with regards to directional lighting or not? I also noticed that the couple of GBRf/First Low Emission Class 66's that I have, are by far superior to the other Dapol ones I own as the other ones sound as though they have a motorbike engine in them! So I would presume that Dapol (in their infinate wisdom), got it wrong with the first lot of Class 66's but seem to have rectified it in the later issues as the newer ones I own run like a dream and are so very quiet! Can anyobe advise if this is the case or not please as if it is, I shall definately be geting the newer types from now in if they all run as good as the new ones I have do? Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards
Mike

PS
And just what does Low Emission mean as far as the models go anyway? Do they look different, do they run differently or what? I can understand the Low Emissiom part as far as the real thing goes but on a model? I presume it's something to do with everything going 'green' but again, actualy on a model?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi mickelmass,

I can only speak from my own limited experience - as my layout is under construction I've only been able to run-in my original Dapol 66's on a small oval test track.
I have followed the Dapol website oiling recommendation (here is the one for the low emission loco's but there is another with pretty much the same information for the original ones):
http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=co...6&Itemid=97
The original Dapol loco's are hard to distinguish (except visually) from my GFbyB ones, although I don't as yet have examples of recent issues from either to compare.
If you have sourced your Dapol 66's from second hand (ebay etc.) then there's no guarantee that their original owner(s) followed this regime, and It's pretty certain it will make a difference. If they are 'new' and you have followed the recommendation you should probably bring this to the attention of the seller.
I don't doubt either that later releases may have better mechanisms and therefore better running qualities, this is how product development generally works.
I hope at least some of this helps.

Regards,Gerry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again

I always get my loco's from either eBay, Rails of Sheffield, The Signal Box, Rochester, Kent (I live above the shop) or Hattons and always but always, it has to be brand new loco's! I never entertain the fact of buying a second hand loco unless it is from sombody I know well and will replace it if it fails etc. I was of the impression that Dapol had made a few different batches of the class 66 and that the first few batches were not all that good runners, as are some of the original ones I have. But as I said, I have just got this Low Emission GBRf/First Dapol class 66 (and have a couple more of the same but different numbers on the way as well) and it runs so very much better than some of the older Dapol class 66's. In fact, it is even a lot quieter than the few GFbyB Class 66's that I own as well. I only wanted to know about the directional lighting situation as I was worried that this new class 66 might not be working right if one end lights with a marker and a head light and the other with just a marker light? The said loco was purchased brand new from a well known shop on eBay and the other two low emission ones I have being delivered tomorrow, I paid £38 each for them brand new plus free p&p, again, from another well known shop on eBay. Many thanks for your assistance. It has helped a lot. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I believe there were some running problems with the original Dapol 66s though all mine are Farish and those aren't perfect either! However if one light is not working at one end it sounds as if the model is faulty.

For those that don't know, the prototype "low emission" 66 includes modifications to the engine to reduce harmful emissions - I think this is nitrogen oxides and/or particulates not CO2, and mods of this type often increase the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions - though I don't know whether this is the case with the 66. EMD can't sell the old version any more as all engines produced after certain dates have to meet ever-tightening EU emissions standards. To fit the extra equipment they've had to change the interior layout, including an extra access door, and reduce the tank size and therefore fuel capacity to keep within weight limits.

The main distinguishing features of the low emission 66 are the extra door part way down the body on one side only (with corresponding steps on the chassis), different shaped cab side windows and smaller fuel tank. On Dapol versions the bogies are also different but this is due to them correcting an inaccurate earlier version (you can buy replacements as spares) rather than to any change in the prototype. And no the model isn't low emission, its a model of a low emission prototype!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Edwin

And many thanks for all the good advice. I had a feeling that the lights should be the same both ends of the loco but I wasn't sure. I did read somewhere that the lights were different on the newer batches of the low emission 66's but I can't remember where I read it? I have two more of the newer batch low emissiom class 66's being deliverd tomoz, so I shall see if they have the same lighting set-up and if so, then I know that they are all the same and that is how they are supposed to be. If it was only one doing it, then I could put it down to a faulty loco but if all three or four of them do the same, then that is probably how they are made? All I know is that the newer Dapol 66's are 100% better compared to the earlier ones with the day/night lighting switches (a total waste of time if you ask me) as I would rather Dapol had left the day/night switching off of the loco and concentrated more on the motor as the motors in the older model 66's sound like the real thing they are so damned noisy but excellently detailed little models non the less. I would even go so far as to say that the newer Dapol 66's are a lot better runners than even the Farish ones, and thats saying something as Farish are usually the business? The three Farish 55's that I own are very noisy seeing as they are Farish, which are usually very nice and almost silent when running? Anyway, thanks again. I shall look around and see if I can see that article on the newer dapol 66's and how the lights are supposed to work? Many thanks again. Cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (mickelmass @ 2 Apr 2009, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did read somewhere that the lights were different on the newer batches of the low emission 66's but I can't remember where I read it?...
...I shall look around and see if I can see that article on the newer dapol 66's and how the lights are supposed to work?
Hi again Mike,
I'm sure you're right about that item on the lighting, and it's really bugging me that I can't remember where I saw it
, if you do come across the source please put me out of my misery - it's just like having a tune going 'round in your head you can't shake off.
I looked back in my 'archive' and only came across the Ben Ando review in Model Rail 108, September 2007. He does refer to the noise and that the chassis was "much quieter" with the body removed, but he doesn't mention anything regarding the lights.

Regards, Gerry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Steam-driven boy

I found out why there was a light not working on one of my Dapol Low Emissiom Clas 66's at last! On the light bar inside the top of the body of the loco, there are three tabs, each of which are split into two. On the chassis, there are three small metal plates and these small split tabs touch the plates when the body is clipped back on to the chassis. Therefore, the three split tabs make contact on the three small metal plates and as soon as power is applied, it makes the contact and the light work. Well, one of the tabs that are split into two on the light bar of my loco body is missing, therefore, thats why the top cab headlight doesn't work! Two of the tabs are split into two thinner tabs but on one of the tabs on this loco body, there is only one tab as the other half that is split is missing and that's the one that makes the cab headlight work. I have lots of other Dapol Low Emission 66's and they all work fine because they all have the three split tabs to work all the different lighting circuits etc. I did take some pretty good pictures of how they work but I don't know if I can or am even allowed to post pictures on these forums? Oh well I tried to put a link to my site on here so you could see what I am on about but it wouldn't work. But if you go to my site link below and hit the N Gauge Modelling radio button, you should see what I mean on there? If it actually works? Cheers

Mike

www.micksbits.co.uk

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I don't know if I can or am even allowed to post pictures on these forums?

Posting photos is allowed and how to post them is explained here - link

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK thanks for that. I shall remember that in future. The pics are on my site now anyway so if anyone wants a gander, they are more than welcome, not that it's very interesting anyway?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
QUOTE (mickelmass @ 9 Apr 2009, 21:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did take some pretty good pictures of how they work
Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting your reply, the photo's are indeed "pretty good" and if it's happened once it may well crop up again in the future for someone else.
It's not the half-remembered lighting issue your earlier post prompted me to search for, the only thing that I came up with on that was the review of the Kato 66's in the N Gauge Society Journal 3/08 "...no red tail lights when running forwards...", perhaps that was the item I was vaugely recalling, ah well

Regards, Gerry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gerry

Yes, those three split tabs on the lighting bar are very, very thin and delicate indeed and I am surprised that this has not happned to others before? Because they are so flimsy and sometimes they move and don't touch the metal contact pads, I have to keep removing some of the the bodies of the locos and repositioning the tabs to make the lights work. Obviously not a good idea as they are so thin and could break quite easily. Thats not how one of mine went missing though. It just wasn't there in the first place. I also have a couple of sets of the Dapol class 73 GBRf loco and dummy units (the DCC ready ones) and their lighting bar works on the same principle. Slightly different but with those same weak and flimsy tabs just the same. Anyway, cheers for now and Happy Easter to all!

Regards
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts