Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
QUOTE (mr angry @ 30 Mar 2021, 02:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Airfix two piece plastic wheels are actually better than the Dapol metal ones. The flanges on them are way too small

Which have flanges too small? You don't want the old style large flanges do you ?

Can I suggest you read this http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/index.htm

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Large flanges do not like Code 75 or smaller codes if modelling old time branch lines that use a smaller rail like Code 55 or 40 in H0 scales
& if rolling stock jumps off track, two possible causes:

1: back to back incorrect and or
2. track is not laid the best

One of my mates had to almost completely relay his Code 100 Peco track when he purchased an Eureka models Beyer Garrat that had very small flanges on pony trucks. Any dips or sharp bends at the rail joins, yep, the loco derailed.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 2 Apr 2021, 22:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have a measurement for the flange depth used? Also any clues what manufacturing outfit was used?

Heljan flanges are circa 0.6mm deep.

No, can't get a measurement but like 99.9% of Australian model locos, all made in China

I was shown a On30 steam loco yesterday with really small wheels on the pony truck & to my eyes, the flanges looked about 1/4 size of the old Lima 00 flanges

1 - 3 of 3 Posts