Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,956 Posts
It will be a long time before I ever buy a Dapol wagon sight unseen, because of an estupido wheel form seen on these milk tanks when they were first released. In short: tyre not coned, front face of flange at right angles to the tyre, rear face of flange tapered to a near knife edge. The end result is that they ran without the natural self centering action of a coned tyre, and at speed - and milk trains were worked fast - the weaving about was very obvious and occasionally lead to derailments which would even occur on plain track. Deeply unimpressed.

·
In depth idiot
7,956 Posts
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 30 Mar 2021, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think he means the Dapol razor blade flanges...
Quite possible, even though it isn't the overall size (depth of flange) that is the issue, but rather a completely inappropriate shape of both tyre and flange.

Side note: to see what is proven possible in RTR OO for the general market, a look at Heljan's wheelform is recommendable. I don't see complaints online about the trackholding from the significantly shallower flanges of the wheelsets used in their twin bogie traction, and on the two steam models that I have seen. When the Hattons/Heljan Beyer Garratt was under close scrutiny for its mechanism failures, I would have expected any tendency to derail to have been picked up, but nothing of the sort. And it is all gain in appearance, looks very well indeed.

QUOTE (hoonsou @ 30 Mar 2021, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I won't have any plastic wheels at all. They're only good for spreading muck around like traction tyres.
Sadly, I anticipate their reappearance - initially on wagons- as the cost pressure begins to really bite in Chinese manufacturing

·
In depth idiot
7,956 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 2 Apr 2021, 00:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...One of my mates had to almost completely relay his Code 100 Peco track when he purchased an Eureka models Beyer Garrat that had very small flanges on pony trucks. Any dips or sharp bends at the rail joins, yep, the loco derailed.
Do you have a measurement for the flange depth used? Also any clues what manufacturing outfit was used?

Heljan flanges are circa 0.6mm deep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts