Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Up until a couple of days ago all my OO rolling stock was Hornby, I decided to buy two Dapol 7 Plank Coal Wagons which I placed in the middle of a short Goods Train, I have found that these two Wagons derail on some sets of points, I am thinking it may be a problem with the wheels, I checked the width of the wheels with a gauge and all was OK, my next move will be to swap the wheels over to Hornby types to see if that keeps them on the track, has anyone else had this problem with Dapol?.

Thank You
Dave.

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Complete the exchange and put the Hornby wheels in the Dapol chassis too. Couplers can also have an effect on running compatability. My very limited experience of Dapol rolling stock (5 vehicles) is that the wheels are fine on Peco large and medium rad code 100 and 75. The couplers however are decidedly 'iffy' when used with Bachmann or Hornby miniature tension locks, and have all had to be replaced for reliable running.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 17 May 2008, 22:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The couplers however are decidedly 'iffy' when used with Bachmann or Hornby miniature tension locks, and have all had to be replaced for reliable running.

Could tension lock type couplings possibly cause problems (especially with lighter stock) because they don't alway pull evenly i.e. the pull is usually slightly offset to central. Just a thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies, I fitted the Dapol Wagons with Hornby Wheels and the seem to be working OK at least they are staying on the track.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
I have had the same problem with Airfix ( aren't they the same moulds?) but just put it down to my kitbuilding and am reassured that someone else has had the same problem.
Ben

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (ben100 @ 18 May 2008, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have had the same problem with Airfix ( aren't they the same moulds?) but just put it down to my kitbuilding and am reassured that someone else has had the same problem.
Dapol sell both the old Airfix kits, and a range of RTR wagons, which are what the original question was about. The old Airfix kit wagons are generally pretty good for detail and accuracy, but the wheels were never much good for running purposes. A pair of Romford wheels to make decent runners out of them, would cost more than the kit back in the 1960's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (ben100 @ 18 May 2008, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I have had the same problem with Airfix ( aren't they the same moulds?) but just put it down to my kitbuilding and am reassured that someone else has had the same problem.
Ben

Hi Ben I guess many of us have problems of one kind or another but I did not expect problems with wheels, I layed my track last week all new and 9 sets of Peco Medium Code 100 points, no ballast as yet but as I always do I will run trains for a few days to iron out any problems, I had trouble with one set of points and these Dapol wheels, I think all is well now but I will not ballast the track till I am sure all is well.

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts