Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of older locos that have bright shiny rods and wheels. 0-6-0 engines can be carefully painted but I am concerned about those with complicated valve gear. Can anyone suggest a good way of darkening these wheels and motion without spoiling the model. Advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used a product called Casey's birchwood gun blue. It comes as a liquid & will blacken the habit of a nun. Obtainable from gunsmiths or Eileens Emporium should have it. Make sure the shiny metal is thoroughly degreased or it won't work, I use a cotton bud & the wifes nail polish cleaner ( when she isn't looking)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I kept meaning to raise this, but I always seemed to get distracted! Is there a way of turning the bright silver motion on some engines to the dull grey of the real life motion? I painted some black recently, but it is too far the other way. I need to get in the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apply said gun blue (or carrs also do a blackening fluid) with a cotton bud, wipe off with another bud that is soaked with water ( which dilutes the fluid) when the desired dull colour finish appears. What happens is that the metal changes to a dull hue fairly gradually but if the desired finish is not to your liking it can be readily painted as it makes a better 'key' for the paint than the shiny smooth metal. Try it on the reverse side of a coupling/connecting rod if one is at hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.