Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of older locos that have bright shiny rods and wheels. 0-6-0 engines can be carefully painted but I am concerned about those with complicated valve gear. Can anyone suggest a good way of darkening these wheels and motion without spoiling the model. Advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used a product called Casey's birchwood gun blue. It comes as a liquid & will blacken the habit of a nun. Obtainable from gunsmiths or Eileens Emporium should have it. Make sure the shiny metal is thoroughly degreased or it won't work, I use a cotton bud & the wifes nail polish cleaner ( when she isn't looking)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I kept meaning to raise this, but I always seemed to get distracted! Is there a way of turning the bright silver motion on some engines to the dull grey of the real life motion? I painted some black recently, but it is too far the other way. I need to get in the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apply said gun blue (or carrs also do a blackening fluid) with a cotton bud, wipe off with another bud that is soaked with water ( which dilutes the fluid) when the desired dull colour finish appears. What happens is that the metal changes to a dull hue fairly gradually but if the desired finish is not to your liking it can be readily painted as it makes a better 'key' for the paint than the shiny smooth metal. Try it on the reverse side of a coupling/connecting rod if one is at hand.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
check out C&L's site

http://www.finescale.org.uk/

follow the links to metal blackeners, they tell you how to do it, and how to use blackeners for different types of metal, to achieve different effects on OTHER types of metal...very useful site..should be linked to this one as a FAQ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts