Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I cannot imagine going back to analogue.

The ease of wiring and operation without having to worry about seperating locos in block sections to control them is great. I have a large loco depot on my layout and can park 25 locos next to each other and can control any of them independantly wherever they are on the track.

Also the fine tuning of the performance characteristics by programming the cv values in the devoders is very useful.

David, its time to change and the relocation of your layout makes a good time to take the plunge.

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi David

On your kitbuilt locos - from my experience they have been the easiest locos of all to convert to DCC because they all seem to have more room to fit the chip. The kitbuilt locos are white metal and dont have ballast weights taking up all the space; and in many cases they don't have lights to worry about.

For the DJH locos, even the very small ones; the installation is really easy.

And the locos fitted with Loksound chips are really excellent.

As far as control of points - I'm less convinced. I use digital but I'm not sure there is much benefit over an analogue panel unless you are going for full computer control.

On the chips, I have been pleasantly surprised at the results from the Hornby chips. I'd read so many negative things but I'e installed 4 of them now and they work fine. In fact I've had more problems with the Bachmann chips than the Hornby ones. Control is by LEnz LH100 units.

Hope this rambling reply helps.

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 20 Jul 2007, 09:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I want on board sound
Is there a way I can sample the sounds on line

I am looking for the whole range of available DB locos Epoch III.Steam etc.........

Thanks.

David

David
The online sounds are not that helpful in showing you what the actual chips will sound like in a loco.

I don't know where you are based but I have quite a few sound equipped German models and I would be happy to dem them to you on your layout if you're not too far away. I live between Bristol and Newport.

Yesterday I bought the Fleischmann 03 and the Fleischmann railbus, both with sound. The only problem with sound for me is that when you have 10-20 locos all with sound switched on, it gets a bit over the top!!

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 8 Aug 2007, 16:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David,

Many thanks for your offer, I live in Rugby.
Sorry for the late reply to your post,circumstances are not as hoped at present and the model railway has had to be put on hold.
Once I am back on track and your offer is still available,I will be in touch.
Are Fleischmann still as good as they used to be?
Enjoy your new models.

Thanks again.

David

David
Sorry to hear that the trains have had to take a back seat for a while. I hope things improve soon.

Rugby is no problem. Just let me know when you are ready.

I have a couple of Fleischmann sound locos and they are very good. They seem to have done an excellent job of providing a decent sound chamber giving a fuller sound than some of the other manufacturers achieve (with the same Loksound chip).

The only problem fitting the sound decoders yourself is finding enough room for decoder and speaker. I've got lazy and I'm buying the ready fitted locos these days.

By the way, I received my PMT model of the tiny 0-4-0 DR tank loco today. A really excellent model with super LED lighting and also really easy decoder installation. Highly recomeneded!

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.