Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've only just seen this thread - sorry about the late reply.

Regarding the old question of DC vs DCC, one of the main argument for DCC is that you are driving the loco not the track as with DC. I enjoy spending hours moving locos and rolling stock around - sometimes in a small engine yard - and I don't have to worry what else is on the line. I will have 4 or 5 locos in the same section of track lined up to use the turntable and go into the sheds just like in the prototype.

william, regarding fitting decoders to small locos. You do get small decoders these days,but they are pricey. I have some small HOe locos that have the decoder in the wagon or carriage that is immediately behind the engine. I have a couple with decoders in the cab, hidden with black tape. You notice it only if you look for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 20 Jul 2007, 09:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I want on board sound
Is there a way I can sample the sounds on line

I am looking for the whole range of available DB locos Epoch III.Steam etc.........

Thanks.

David

David
The online sounds are not that helpful in showing you what the actual chips will sound like in a loco.

I don't know where you are based but I have quite a few sound equipped German models and I would be happy to dem them to you on your layout if you're not too far away. I live between Bristol and Newport.

Yesterday I bought the Fleischmann 03 and the Fleischmann railbus, both with sound. The only problem with sound for me is that when you have 10-20 locos all with sound switched on, it gets a bit over the top!!

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
David,

Many thanks for your offer, I live in Rugby.
Sorry for the late reply to your post,circumstances are not as hoped at present and the model railway has had to be put on hold.
Once I am back on track and your offer is still available,I will be in touch.
Are Fleischmann still as good as they used to be?
Enjoy your new models.

Thanks again.

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 8 Aug 2007, 16:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David,

Many thanks for your offer, I live in Rugby.
Sorry for the late reply to your post,circumstances are not as hoped at present and the model railway has had to be put on hold.
Once I am back on track and your offer is still available,I will be in touch.
Are Fleischmann still as good as they used to be?
Enjoy your new models.

Thanks again.

David

David
Sorry to hear that the trains have had to take a back seat for a while. I hope things improve soon.

Rugby is no problem. Just let me know when you are ready.

I have a couple of Fleischmann sound locos and they are very good. They seem to have done an excellent job of providing a decent sound chamber giving a fuller sound than some of the other manufacturers achieve (with the same Loksound chip).

The only problem fitting the sound decoders yourself is finding enough room for decoder and speaker. I've got lazy and I'm buying the ready fitted locos these days.

By the way, I received my PMT model of the tiny 0-4-0 DR tank loco today. A really excellent model with super LED lighting and also really easy decoder installation. Highly recomeneded!

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Folks.

Finally getting somewhere
Completion due on the 8th Oct

Layout being dismantled and stock boxed up

Only downside is
will be off line for a while.
Chance to have a serious think about,what I intend to do with the layout

All the best.

David

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.