Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many topics posted on DC & DCC with good & bad points on both sides.
I personally have a DC layout & more about that later but I do operate fortnightly on a 20x20ft DCC layout & I enjoy it as we follow the train/loco around .
I have also operated on other DCC layouts but I am not keen on those that require points to be set from the hand controller. 90% of my layout points are manually operated & I have 91 points on the layout.

Many who have changed from DC to DCC find less wiring is a boon but to me being trained in that side of my working life, I enjoy wiring & spaghetti nests do not faze me at all.
I had considered converting my layout 12x20 ft to DCC but the cost of at least 5 hand controllers & 10 locos chipped initially was a bit too much.

My layout is based on having 4 operators, one at each station who drive trains into their station, shunt as required, then let the next operator take it out to their station. We do not follow the train around. Each station has it's own control panel & can be operated by themselves as a complete unit. Linking panels electrically allows trains to move around the layout.
At any one time, there maybe a maximum of 3 goods & 2 passenger trains on the layout at the same time.
In the one operating session over 3 hours, I use at least 9 different locos ( push-pull, railcar, locals, express passenger & goods). The advantage we have in my layout is that we do not have to know the loco number or the direction it is facing to drive it from a preceeding station. I also have 9 hidden sidings so we cannot even see the loco to determine the way it is facing. If we need train from hidden track 1, we set the points, controller direction switch to exit & our train arrives without fuss. Another advantage I have is that anyone can bring his/her favourite DC or DCC loco & we know it will work correctly without having to programme anything about it.
If I had DCC using say the Bachmann EZ Command & a visitor brought a DCC loco with 4 digit addressing, it would need re-programming to run & then be re-programmed when it got back to it's home layout. At least DC locos work on any DC layout ( in this case I mean 2 rail DC locos)
Other aspects of DCC such as sounds & loco lights, while they some may like them, I cannot see them improving the way I & my friends operate on my layout. To me, they are bells & whistles!
A few DCC friends here have made mention of the amount of time one spends on operating section switches to isolate/activate locos, etc & to them they make it out as if it is a burden.
I then say to them, wait until all of your points & signals are controlled from signal boxes especially like railways did last century. That stops them dead for a while as they consider this aspect of the hobby & most of the time, they come back & say " no signals needed & all points via hand control or the PC to set the rout".

Like others who have made reference to this, there are still a few problems in DCC with compatibility between brands that can restrict what the modeller would like. Problems of installing decoders is one point that really needs to be looked at by the manufactures like changing decoder V1 to V2 even when V1 & V2 are by the same manufacturer! Time will tell if things get better.

I look at existing layouts & agree with the owner, if it works now to their satisfaction, why change?

Not-withstanding the above, I do agree that any new modeller should consider DCC to start with & that if I rebuilt my layout to make it simpler & a one-man operator, I would the convert myself.
Part of my modelling time is used to help others get into DCC as they are just starting out or have decided to change methods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Until last year I had a good sized n gauge layout which I started building 18 years ago. It still worked pretty well with no real bugs. But I decided after so long it had become a bit stale so I dismantled it and I've had a few month's break.

Now I'm considering making a new start and the question arises - to DCC or not? Some of my locos are a bit elderly and run poorly, so limiting myself to chipping a few of the better ones shouldn't be too much of a hardship. But is there room to convert n gauge locos for DCC? The systems seem a bit pricey too, well at least they are compared to using the stuff I've got for free! Which is the best to get?

Finally, is it possible to run locos on two separate systems at the same time using one DCC system, as for example on a layout with OO and oo9 on two systems. You'd want trains running on both simultaneously.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE (Jonathan @ 4 May 2007, 04:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally, is it possible to run locos on two separate systems at the same time using one DCC system, as for example on a layout with OO and oo9 on two systems. You'd want trains running on both simultaneously.

Jonathan
Yes, absolutely! You just connect your DCC bus to both track systems.

Graham Plowman

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in the process of building an N gauge layout using DCC and I can assure you that there are no problems at all with fitting the new mini decoders in N gauge locos. Fair enough I cheat with some of mine and send them away to be done. But that is just me being lazy.

As far as points go I have opted not to use DCC but operate the points via a bank of Peco passing contact switches with the motors powered by a redundant DCC 15 volt transformer which eliminates the need for CDUs. Operating the points from the DCC controller struck me as being a bit too complicated whilst trying to run two or more trains from the same hand set.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The editor of Model Rail, Chris Leigh, produced an editorial on the subject of DCC in the current edition of the magazine which has caused controversy and a lot of dicsussion in the Video and Media section here at Model Rail Forum with very good and valid points being made by all parties. It is certainly worth popping in to the Video and Media section and seeing what folk have to say about the DCC/DC options in the Model Rail topic.

Below is a direct link to the topic:-

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2604

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts