Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A club member bought a DC Kits Class 17 Clayton Loco in tonight and it was an absolutely beautiful model and ran as well as any Hornby or Bachmann loco. He had it running for over an hour on the club layout complete with a Genesis kit built brake wagon. Apparently Claytons had poor brakes so almost always operated with a brake wagon. The airbrushing and transfer work was absolutely first class and if this model had been in a Hornby or Bachmann box I would have got very excited indeed!

For a kit with a resin body we were surprised at how fine the window frames are and the owner agreed that great care had to be taken with the cab to avoid breaking any of the window frames.

At the end of the day you simply have to admire the craftsmanship that goes into a well built kit. Its very rare that I see examples of kits that match the finish of locomotives from the ready to run manufactures and to see an example that at least matches the standard and argueably better it is a sight to behold!

Also we had a Pressed Steel Class 121 DMBS (Driving Motor Brake Second) "Bubble Car" running tonight.

Nice to see something different on the layout.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
DC do some very good kits for both loco's and d/emu's, it must be galling for these small firms when no sooner do they do the legwork required to produce something new a few months later one of the RTR companies decide to include it in their range (class 150 for example).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to say the class 17 has always been on my ''would kill to have one list''
but sadly me and kit's never seem to work out I've seen one or two class 17
Techcad-Design kit's and they look very nice maybe one day
I've been told D C kit's do RTR loco but I'm not sure
BILLY

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bought one a year ago completely messed it up by trying to paint it before assembly so never completed it. Plus i think there were a couple of bits missing never did work out how the non powered bogie should be attached I have to say though that compared to the judith edge class 17 which a friend of mine is building it is a bit basic no cab interior detail however it is still a good model but i think it might be years before i get around to sorting it out mine will be DCC'd if i ever do

·
Registered
982 Posts
DC do some very good kits for both loco's and d/emu's, it must be galling for these small firms when no sooner do they do the legwork required to produce something new a few months later one of the RTR companies decide to include it in their range (class 150 for example).

Yes but the 150 is at least 2 years away given that Bachmann have yet to deliver 108!

On the 17, how did you power it? Did you use a black beetle? How easy is it to connect extra pickups on other bogie?

I am considering getting one as the class 17 is one of the first locos I remember. However will wait until the 2007 release announcements (2009 Bachmann) before deciding to buy as I have never built a kit before. Was contemplating a Tech-Cad one but I understand these are also now only available in kit form

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Warley Clayton had a Tenshodo bogie unit. I'll see if I can get permission take a few pictures at some point.

The odd thing is I have looked at the DC Kits BR Blue picture that they have on the website to showcase the Clayton and the image definitely does not do the model justice. It looks much better in green without all that silver trim.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gary, I think tthat is true of the real thing ie looks better in green than blue.

Billy , I think DC Kits do a kit building service. I'm sure i've seen ready made ones at Model Rail Scotland when they exhibit. From memory the cost wasn't that bad (maybe £135-£150)

Russell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.