Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd improve my modelling skills using a steady stream of increasingly difficult kits that I kinda like the look of, are reasonably priced and could possible squeeze onto my laout, anyway having ordered some 35x14 Black beetle in error previously, I thought I'd use them and found the 308 kit could use them, so I ordered it.

Having now received the kit (and the millions of pieces that make it) I am confused as to how the motor can be attached, the instructions breifly mention that you have to cut the floor of the motor coach open to fit them, but the far end has a recession which looks like it could possibly fit. I don't want to commit to building one particular way to find it is wrong. Anyone built one of these?

I could build the end cars for an idea of the heights involved, but if anyone knows it would be a major help.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello there
unless they have changed the floor it dosent have a recess. it has the same floor as all his mk1 kits. it has a bogie boss at one end and at the other end spaces to glue in another bogie boss to ceate the 2 different lengths of mk1 coach.

the spud will fit entirly under the floor but the black beatle wont. on the bottom of the chassis you should see a rectangle marked out. that is the bit you cut out for the black beatle. your black beatle should have come with a metal bracket that fits into a place marked on the centreline next to the cut out.

these are great kits and with care should make up into a really nice model. one tip for these, normally when building coaches i like to make the entire body lift off the chassis and floor. DC kits are the exception. i build the whole thing up attached to the floor then use a TINY bit of liquid poly under the cantrail to attach the roof. that way the whole thing is solid but with a quick flick of the knife you can gain access to the interior.

I had a 2H that i sold a cou[le of years ago. i did quite a good job of building it but a mess of the paintwork. someone else stuck the roof on using a large ammount of evo stick contact adheasive and made a complete hash of it. i was very dissapointed but it still sold. i have also done a rake of his TPO kits that went together beautifully.

if you cant see where to cut out for the bogie, let me know and i will take some pictures for you.

Peter

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I gather, they changed the floor to have a recess, but the instructions clearly have not been updated to include this, so I don't know if that was the purpose or not. A chap on another forum said (after I posted this thread) that it should fit because he has the 4cep kit and his Tenshedo motor fits that. I shall experiment and report back in the Workbench area.

G

·
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 20 Sep 2008, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From what I gather, they changed the floor to have a recess, but the instructions clearly have not been updated to include this, so I don't know if that was the purpose or not. A chap on another forum said (after I posted this thread) that it should fit because he has the 4cep kit and his Tenshedo motor fits that. I shall experiment and report back in the Workbench area.

They make up into a nice unit with work (prefer the 304 flavour myself) however I have found a black Beetle is a little stretched on a 3 car unit and not powerful enough for a 4.

One tip is to use the flushglaz from the replica Mk1 surburbans to improve the unit further,

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pic, I've got two Black Beetles to power it, as the previous 4 car kits I've had were somewhat under powered with one motor, one will go in each of the centre cars.

The glazing looks like a pain in the rear end.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Double beetle is the way to go - one option is to put both Beetles under one car - especially if you ever want DCC since otherwise you'd need 2 decoders

They build up nicely - I've seen a couple done

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DCC isn't an immediate concern for me at the mo, something for the future maybe, but with all the locos I've got its not an option just now. One motor in each of the centre cars appears to be the path of least resistance, I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All DC Kits supplied since 2006 excluding Short DMUs, Classes 201/202/207 have the new floors with a recess to suit the Black Beetle motor bogies. The recess can be filled with the bogie stretcher moulding if you only require 1 motor fitted to a three car unit. Any problems contact [email protected] or ring 01132 563415 8am to 2pm. We are intending to add a 'Building a DC Kit in pictures' to the Website in the near future. The new site is: www.dckits-devideos.co.uk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clearing that up Charlie, I have built the unit now and might get some pics here in the new year for all to view. The glazing wasn't a pain, just had to be a little careful in getting the size right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If anyone wants to part with photographs of DC Kits kits built up, on or off layouts for our Gallery on the website please send them to: [email protected]
If anyone has any problems re any DC Kit then please let me know, I try to be helpfull!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts