Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, i'm new here and this is my first topic.
I have run my trains on the conventional direct current system since i first had a train set (that was a long time back) but now the kids have all left home i find more pennies in my pocket so decided to go for DCC, and purchased a LENZ 100 system, while it runs perfectly with the new locomotives available, i have found that its not so good with older locos, i.e hornby tender drive princess elizabeth, went for a short while then the armature burnt out, same happened with an old X04 motor, and some of the limas locos seem to stop start continually, has any one else encountered this, or am i just expecting to much from my older stock. all comments would be very welcomed
John

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi John, welcome to this forum, I'm fairly new myself.

I went down a similar learning curve as yourself. I restarted from scratch with a simple DCC set from Bachmann. A friend gave me three old train sets he had from years ago. I fitted decoders to two of them with poor results. It would seem that the old three pole motors are not happy with DCC, to be fair they did not run too happily on DC either, I guess they were tired out. I have a new three pole motor shunter which works on DCC but not entirely satisfactorily, it does not compare with my new class 08/09 Hornby shunter which has a 5 pole skew wound motor. To get really smooth slow running I believe that it is necessary to have the 5 pole motor with a flywheel and low gearing.

Some of my locos produce a loud growl before moving off, others do not. Whether this is a product of the motor or decoder or both I don't know, I expect someone on this forum is familiar with these problems.

The way forward seems to be: Use good quality decoders, lenz gold series seem to attract a lot of praise, only fit them to modern stock preferably with the 5 pole motors which Hornby use. I don't know if Bachmann use these motors.

Branchy

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm thinking it's the motors though you might find certain decoders work best with what you have than others. In my opinion if you really value the locomotives then you might consider re-powering them. In the US a popular way to go is to use a repower kit made by a company called NorthWest Short Line. While these are for US locomotives they may have something that can be adapted. Were I you and this is a option I would take a picture without the body and send them an inquiry.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replys, i am also of the opinion that the 3 pole motors don't like DCC, i would like to try to replace some of my X04 motors in my older hornby stock, for a more modern replacement,I have been told that there was a company that did make replacments, but that is no longer the case, so if any body has any ideas on this, they would be most welcome, (i will check out the american company as suggested) on a more positive note, i just got my hands on Hornbys Windsor Lad, have fitted a basic decoder, and wow !!! what a piece of engineering, its ultra smooth, quite, and very responsive, and looks the business on my layout, a very nice offering from hornby.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I was recently reviewing a "Model Rail" from a few issues ago and this point crops up. I'll summerise what they have to say later.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
The first thing a lot of DCC experts seem to say regarding running and motors is if it doesn't run well on DC then it won't run well on DCC. There are people offering decoder fitting services for older loco's on ebay and they all make that statment. Also i have read that the old open frame motors as used in early hornby and triang locos are unsuitable for conversion.
The lima motors are a bit schizo at the best of times, i have some that will run perfectly straight out of the box sometimes and then just sit there dead on other occasions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
motor emits a "loud growl sound" - this sound is caused by the high torque generated by the motor from stand still, and gradually lessens in volume as the motor gradually picks up speed. This type of motor is very hard to control a constant speed and not really suitable for shunting at very low speeds.
Most of the Pancake motors as found in Lima and Fleischmann diesel locomotives, are typical examples of emitting the "loud growl sound" while traversing over a layouts track.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The comment in Model Rail was in connection with Peco Code 75 track and the back-to-back wheel measurements of wheels on older Hornby locomotives. Recent locos have a 14.5 mm back-to-back and run fine on Code 75. Older locos do not and short out the system when operating on DCC. Flange size may have something to do with this aswell of course. Best to stick with Code 100 if you have older Hornby locos.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts