Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,
Please forgive me if I mention a 'dirty' word but would a Dynamis as opposed to a Hornby Elite be suitable for a 6 year old.He is quite bright & picks up thing very quickly.I am just starting to build a layout for him & thinking of taking the DCC route.

Thanks for any advice
Alan

PS I see on the Bachmann Dynamis website that all there products are 'out of stock'. Has the firm folded or what ?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***He will pick it up in 5 minutes flat and find it easy - Kids get on with it very well as the dynamis controller is very like a playstation controller and has one added benefit for a young one - a lanyard that can go round his neck so it can't be dropped!

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Alan & welcome to MRF.

As Richard says a six year old will pick it up very quickly - you won't have any problems with the Dynamis in that respect.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Merv0728)PS I see on the Bachmann Dynamis website that all there products are 'out of stock'. Has the firm folded or what ?
no. i dont think they will be going anywhere.

they produce some of the engines that are the real bread and butter of model railways. i think they are pretty safe.

Peter

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
My first digital controller was the Dynamis. Does everything (seemingly) but when you've been using a round knob for years, the joystick takes some getting used to ! My granchild (not yet 6) instinctively worked out how to operate it but was confused 'cos all the pictures on the display looked the same (I only run diesels).

Go for it - I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,
Many thanks to all who replied,I am convinced. Now to find a dealer who has them in stock.

Alan

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Personally i think the Dynamis is very hard to use, I'm 14 and i still have problems. especally with the range and conectivity

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 31 Jan 2009, 14:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Alan & welcome to MRF.

As Richard says a six year old will pick it up very quickly - you won't have any problems with the Dynamis in that respect.

then get him on here and he'll be able to help the rest of us that are taking a little longer to get our heads around programming etc with dcc! he can be our in-house dcc expert!

·
Registered
103 Posts
My eldest was running trains on DCC using the Dynamis when he was 6. He also managed to programme loco decoder addresses and add the names no problem at all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (Raider @ 4 Mar 2009, 21:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My eldest was running trains on DCC using the Dynamis when he was 6. He also managed to programme loco decoder addresses and add the names no problem at all.

exactly - its the old " i cant program the video - get the kids to do it" scenario and its creeping into model railways - esp when you start to look at hooking up a pc to dcc to run the layout! - i wudnt know where to begin! - i cant even resize my pics yet lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All, Thanks for all the replies.

I got the Dynamis & have the track laid etc., & found the Dynamis quite easy to use after the first hour or two. I can now program the decoders etc.,& I'm coming up to 81, so as was said a 6 year old should have no problems.

Again, thanks all.
Alan

·
Registered
405 Posts
QUOTE (Merv0728 @ 31 Jan 2009, 14:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all,
Please forgive me if I mention a 'dirty' word but would a Dynamis as opposed to a Hornby Elite be suitable for a 6 year old.He is quite bright & picks up thing very quickly.I am just starting to build a layout for him & thinking of taking the DCC route.

Thanks for any advice
Alan

PS I see on the Bachmann Dynamis website that all there products are 'out of stock'. Has the firm folded or what ?
hI I my 4 year old great granson can do it so I think your 6 year old will soon be showing you how its done also my 18 month old granchild can master the joystick to .
as for being out of stock try one of the many online dealers the comment about use EZ is good but it got drawback so I think you have made the right choice as has been said it is game style control pad too hope you fine it OK.

regards noblenoel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts