Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the world of DCC and have received for Xmas the new Bachmann Dynamis.I have managed to fit 4 decoders into varies locos (the 3-function Bachmann decoder 36-553. I have a problem with one of the loco a DCC ready Hornby King Willliam .It runs perfectly using DC but when on DCC it runs fine until I slow it down almost to a stop at which point it jerks forward a couple of times before stopping . It does the same thing when it starts off at a slow realistic speed until it has got going( it is set to 28 for speed).Can anybody help me or have I got a faulty decoder

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (Chirkwood @ 7 Jan 2008, 15:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am very new to the world of DCC and have received for Xmas the new Bachmann Dynamis.I have managed to fit 4 decoders into varies locos (the 3-function Bachmann decoder 36-553. I have a problem with one of the loco a DCC ready Hornby King Willliam .It runs perfectly using DC but when on DCC it runs fine until I slow it down almost to a stop at which point it jerks forward a couple of times before stopping . It does the same thing when it starts off at a slow realistic speed until it has got going( it is set to 28 for speed).Can anybody help me or have I got a faulty decoder

Hi, you could try the 128 speed step setting- I found last night that the Hornby 4F was a bit jerky on 28 speed steps and fine on 128. It's a tender drive (old Lima design I think) but it works fine now on 128 speed steps. Ive chipped Hornby 8F, Hymek, Bachmann Class N and Jinty all of which run great on 28 speed steps.

Hope this helps

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Watty @ 8 Jan 2008, 16:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, you could try the 128 speed step setting- I found last night that the Hornby 4F was a bit jerky on 28 speed steps and fine on 128. It's a tender drive (old Lima design I think) but it works fine now on 128 speed steps. Ive chipped Hornby 8F, Hymek, Bachmann Class N and Jinty all of which run great on 28 speed steps.

Hope this helps

***Remove the capacitor that is across the motor leads and it will perform well at slow speeds. The capacitor interferes with the Back EMF and prevents best slow running quality. If U snip it off carefully close to the capcitor body thats all you need to do.

The advice to move to 128 steps is good also - it really smooths out performance on some loco's.

Kind regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Richard,

Done both things but the loco is still shooting forward as it comes to a standstill.
Anyother suggestions

Chirkwood

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (Chirkwood @ 8 Jan 2008, 13:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

Done both things but the loco is still shooting forward as it comes to a standstill.
Anyother suggestions

Chirkwood

Might be a chip fault then- all else being equal. What chip is it- the TCS ones are fully "dummy proff guaranteed" so you should be able to get a free replacement if it's one of theirs. I always snip the capacitors- seems to be the best advice. Let the chip do the work for you.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Watty @ 8 Jan 2008, 23:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might be a chip fault then- all else being equal. What chip is it- the TCS ones are fully "dummy proff guaranteed" so you should be able to get a free replacement if it's one of theirs. I always snip the capacitors- seems to be the best advice. Let the chip do the work for you.

**Hi, yes, check another chip I think.... let us know how U get on. ALternatively, try a decoder reset then try again - if its a TCS set CV30 to 2 to do this - other brands will/should tell U in the instructions.

question - is is a small stumble or does it shoot forward a bit?

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Revisited this evening and by setting CV54 - 25 & 55 -35 as suggested running like a dream
Thanks guys for your time and expertise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.