Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the DCC experts……

I have a turntable that has a 6 volt dc motor for turning operation.
On existing dc (normal control) I simply use a hand held controller to turn the voltage on and then I keep the controller on a fairly low setting which gives an 'on load' output of around 5.5 to 6.5 volts, which the motor is ok with and the turntable turns at a nice steady speed too. I simply turn down the controller to slow the TT and align the tracks etc.
I am now converting to DCC and will need a static decoder to allow the TT to operate. As I understand it, DCC supplies full voltage (16-18v) all the time and reduces the "On" period to whatever the control speed is set at i.e If 1/3 speed needed then full volts supplied for 1/3 of the time etc.
So, what do you recommend for this 6 volt motor?? What ideas have you?

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 25 Jan 2006, 13:55)To all the DCC experts……

As I understand it, DCC supplies full voltage (16-18v) all the time and reduces the "On" period to whatever the control speed is set at i.e If 1/3 speed needed then full volts supplied for 1/3 of the time etc.
So, what do you recommend for this 6 volt motor?? What ideas have you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's what the output of a decoder does and the inductance, resistance and capacitance of the motor smooths this out to an average DC value. Decoders with "silent", "supersonic" or high frequency drive are best in this respect.

The chances are that your 6V motor will work quite well when powered by a loco decoder. Set the Vhigh CV to give a sensible top speed at whatever track voltage you are using (it can be much lower than 16V).

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts