Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have R156 - a B.R. Class 08 0-6-0 Diesel Electric Shunter probably purchased in 1982 and not used since. On inspection I see it has a chip in it. Would that be suitable for a DCC set up? Any comments would be much appreciated

G

·
QUOTE (PeterC @ 21 Feb 2008, 22:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have R156 - a B.R. Class 08 0-6-0 Diesel Electric Shunter probably purchased in 1982 and not used since. On inspection I see it has a chip in it. Would that be suitable for a DCC set up? Any comments would be much appreciated

If its really that old (the chip I mean) then no. Best guess is its a Zero one chip.

Of course you can take the chip out and put a DCC chip in - should be fine.

Cheers

Jim

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (jim s-w @ 21 Feb 2008, 23:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If its really that old (the chip I mean) then no. Best guess is its a Zero one chip.

I'd agree with that - Zero one was around about then. Incidentally wasn't Zero one a space ship in a Thunderbirds movie in the 60's?

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Zero 1 was developed by Hornby in 1978 onwards. Marketed in 1980, it was not very popular and was dropped in 1986, so this ties in well with the purchase date of 1982 you quote above. Being very much a pioneer it was let down by a lack of public understanding and unreliabilty with the electronics at that time.

Pat Hammond's book "The Story of Rovex Volume 3 1973-1996" has quite a bit of information on the system and its history if anyone is looking for more information.

ZTC can still support Zero 1 chips, according to Pat's book.

Sorry - further edit to say that items of Zero 1 equipment often turn up at toy fairs, swap-meets and the like.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts