Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a call for help really,

I recently aquired Hornby's R2465 BR 2-8-0 Class 2800 Locomotive. I now want to convert it to DCC.

This loco is tender driven, which I have no problems fitting a decoder, but I do have one small query, This loco comes with a smoke creator and a red led in the firebox.

As soon as the Loco is place on the track it starts to create smoke. unless it is in an isolated pice of track. how can I wire this one up to only smoke when called up on DCC.

I could simply not put oilin but the smoke element will still generate heat and I do not want to damage the body.

Thanks

Cpt Jack.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (Cpt Jack Sparrow @ 20 Oct 2008, 15:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a call for help really,

I recently aquired Hornby's R2465 BR 2-8-0 Class 2800 Locomotive. I now want to convert it to DCC.

This loco is tender driven, which I have no problems fitting a decoder, but I do have one small query, This loco comes with a smoke creator and a red led in the firebox.

As soon as the Loco is place on the track it starts to create smoke. unless it is in an isolated pice of track. how can I wire this one up to only smoke when called up on DCC.

I could simply not put oilin but the smoke element will still generate heat and I do not want to damage the body.

Thanks

Cpt Jack.

Just read on internet, it may be DCC ready... Best get home from work and split it open.........

Ta

Cpt jack

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Hornby R2465 is not DCC ready. Using a low powered decoder will let the smoke out in the wrong place, i.e. the decoder. See this thread on the Hornby forum for more info on what decoders are suitable etc. http://tinyurl.com/6m9fan

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

This just shows the lack of forward thinking by Hornby. It would be so easy to provide a DCC socket that would connect an output function to the generator so you can switch smoke on and off (as requested by the OP). It probably would not work with every decoder, as not all have the same function outputs, but it would work with a broad range of decoders.

I hope that in the near future, all Hornby and Bachmann locos will have easy drop in connection of decoders which work with all pre-fitted components (lights, smoke etc.) and even have a built-in speaker for sound (so long as they are good quality!).

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE This just shows the lack of forward thinking by Hornby.

I think that's a bit harsh. This model was in production long before Hornby entered the DCC market.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John @ 20 Oct 2008, 17:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and even have a built-in speaker for sound (so long as they are good quality!).

I would,t hold my breath about the quality all the time the spec' will be written by a bean counter !

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh Barnicles
Not DCC as stated.

I think this one is beyond me.... Any one know a helpful decoder fitter in the Bedfordshire area, that would help me out for a few pieces of eight.

Cpt Jack

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
If it is of any value I have fitted a TCS MC2 to a Hornby loco to run a smoke unit. A 2 function TCS may have enough current to drive the smokje unit off of one funtion and the fire box LED of of the other function (assigned of course to the fire box flicker effect CV)

If it is a Seuthe smoke unit (which I imagine it is) then usually they will be insulated with a plastic jacket and cause no damage to your loco at all however as you mention it is not wise to run them with out oil in them.

The seuthe unit is probably a #22 or similar and requires around 125mA of output which is within the capacity of the TCS function outputs.

If using the 2 function one assign it it to a head light function that is on in both directions and that way the smoke unit will work when the function button is pressed regardless of whether you are moving fwd or back.

Hope this is of help. Richard J and Martin71 are the guns on this one, I have only done 2 locos like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts