Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning on a sunny Fathers Day.

I am chipping several Locos to run on our new DCC Layout, all has gone well UNTIL - I opened up the Bachmann Jinty Loco - it has what (I think) is a choke - 2 tiny copper coils surronding a (Graphite?) rod - wired between the pick up & motor.

To start I have wired in the chip between the pickup & (Choke?), programmed it as #5, the Hornby controller accepted the input (Red Light flashed) but the Loco refuses to run on anything other than default (#3).

Before I hack out the (Choke?) & get myself into real trouble, does any one have any suggestions.

Thanks Mike H.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
You can always leave the chokes in circuit - the caps are the ones that have to go & bachmann have a habit of tucking them away, sometimes under the motors !

It's possible that although the controller has "set" the address & acknowledged it the decoder has not "taken" it. Try again & make sure that there is 100% positive contact between the decoder & controller (clean track & pickups).

BTW - what Hornby controller are you using, because the Select does not read back.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I done this installation some months back, and left the choke in, not sure if it was the correct thing to do, used a Lenz decoder, it was very tight getting it in, had to remove weight from smoke box, but saying all that it works well, im not even sure what the choke supposed to do? is it the same job as a interferance supressor? Im wondering if the decoder has accepted the new coding?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the imput, I'll try resetting (again).

(BTW - what Hornby controller are you using, because the Select does not read back.) - I have the Hornby Select & when programming the chip it gives confirmation by flashing a Red LED as confirmation.

Regds Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - Glad to know someone was successful!

I'm using the Bachmann chip - with a sleeve it just fits in the Boiler space - without any modification, I'm pleased to say.

I'm off to reprogram the chip - Mike H

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 15 Jun 2008, 08:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>im not even sure what the choke supposed to do? is it the same job as a interferance supressor? I
Yes, it helps to "choke" interferance, but is not actually required for DCC as the decoders have built in supression.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Poppa Mike @ 15 Jun 2008, 08:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the Hornby Select & when programming the chip it gives confirmation by flashing a Red LED as confirmation.

Regds Mike
What the Select actually does is it sends the command out & confirms that the command has been sent, but is unable to confirm that the decoder has responded if yo see what I mean.

·
Registered
189 Posts

more great advise from the forum

I have been building up a supply of hornby decoders (with the red dot) and a few bachmann decoders. However, I haven't had a chance to set them up yet but continually read these topics (and record them in my notebook) in preparation

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Poppa Mike @ 15 Jun 2008, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Morning on a sunny Fathers Day.

I am chipping several Locos to run on our new DCC Layout, all has gone well UNTIL - I opened up the Bachmann Jinty Loco - it has what (I think) is a choke - 2 tiny copper coils surronding a (Graphite?) rod - wired between the pick up & motor.

To start I have wired in the chip between the pickup & (Choke?), programmed it as #5, the Hornby controller accepted the input (Red Light flashed) but the Loco refuses to run on anything other than default (#3).

Before I hack out the (Choke?) & get myself into real trouble, does any one have any suggestions.

Thanks Mike H.

***I've done several of these loco's and all that added stuff should ideally be dumped.

If you have the non-dcc ready version do all as below - if yours has a socket, best to do the same but the sequence is a bit different.

Remove the black plastic L shaped bracket. This will get you to the screw that holds the little circuit board with the inductors on it.

remove the screw that holds it in place, unsolder the capacitor leads from the motor body, unsolder the wires from the motor brushes and remove the PCB totally.

Wire red and black of the loco pickups to red and black of the decoder.
wire orange and gray of the decoder to the motor brushes.

I always use a small TCS decoder for this install. If you now replace the small L shaped plastic bracket the decoder will fit between the bracket and the motor mounting/gearbox. NO need to remove any weight, which is important as this lovely little loc needs all the help of the weight it has to pull lots of wagons.

NOTE: The new hornby decoders are certainly better but still give NO real adjutment for performance. You are MUCH better off using Bachmann, TCS, ESU or similar. (for example, if you adjust Vmax and Vmid to about 60% of max and set both CV3 and 4 for a bit of momentum too with this loco using one of the recommended decoders, speed control and smoothness become exceptional - without the ability to do that, The bachmann 3 pole motor is a bit lumpy at very slow speeds.

ALSO - this loco benefits from a bit of pickup adjustment - ex factory, about 1/2 the pickups don't make good contact with the wheels!!

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Here's a video of a chip being installed in a Bachmann Jinty.
Some people complain about the techniques used, but until someone comes up with something better it's all there is. It does show what goes where.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Video Clip Info, as the Loco/Chip is refusing to operate on anything other than the default # 3 I'll remove the Choke & rewire the chip to see if that sorts out the problem.

Something that has arisen from going digital - I think I am going to investigate the power feed to the track, some Locos that ran smoothly in Analogue are not going as well since conversion (plug in chip not my wiring!) - it seems that Digital is rather more sensitive than Analogue.

Any thoughts on a Monday Morning??

Regds

Mike H.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Poppa Mike @ 16 Jun 2008, 09:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it seems that Digital is rather more sensitive than Analogue.
Digital is no more sensitive than anaolgue if the wiring integrity is as it should be. However, it does tent to highlight any deficiancies that may not have been noticed before. Clean track/wheels & good pickups are a must.

Locomotives that run well on analogue will be better on digital provided that the decoder is a decent one & installed & set up correctly.

First step would be to check the power feeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Brian

[Locomotives that run well on analogue will be better on digital provided that the decoder is a decent one & installed & set up correctly]. - I have used Plug in Bachmann + 2 Hornby and they seem to perform ok

[First step would be to check the power feeds.] - I think you have probably hit the nail on the head - As I solder the feed wires to the track I'll try using some spare Hornby power clips (as a temporary measure) to try & improve the supply.

Has there been a discussion on this on the Forum?

Mike

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Poppa Mike @ 16 Jun 2008, 10:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has there been a discussion on this on the Forum?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes - loads - do a forum search & you should come up with the posts.

There are a couple of websites (someone will soon post the URL's !) that give useful advice on wiring, but a little time spent using decent sized wire/cable & good soldered joints will pay real dividends in the long term.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Morning - Many thanks for all the input - Jinty problem resolved, removed the lot as per the Video Clip & it works fine.

Now I've just got to sort out the Track wireing!

Regards

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts