Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
ZTC is back, Its now owned by Neil Kinnison. SBX could not deal with the workload, running a shop covering all types of modelling was just to much. Neil has had a long association with ZTC, that does not mean he wont tackle any problems.
All the old decoders have gone. ( useless) And for what its worth i have had my 511 for over 5 years and would not swop it for anything else, so there. Alfy.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for that concise review - answered a few questions for me too.

Maybe the oft quoted remark "avoid the trains set systems" out to be modified to "avoid the trains set systems, with the exception of Roco"

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 2 May 2011, 17:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that concise review - answered a few questions for me too.

Maybe the oft quoted remark "avoid the trains set systems" out to be modified to "avoid the trains set systems, with the exception of Roco"

And of course, Fleischmann, as it one and the same unit - made by Lenz

·
Registered
103 Posts
After being blatantly lied to by the Original ZTC about features of a sound decoder and then stuck with a £120 piece of cra.... I mean rubbish, I'd personally not touch any form of ZTC nor recommend it to anyone regardless of its quality and fit for purposeness (rubbish on both counts IMO). That said, I wish the 'new' ZTC luck - different people now so hopefully this disgraceful practice of salesmanship no longer exists!

End Rant!

MORE TO THE POINT....

Any chance of an updated Lenz review? I know not much HAS changed (a software update, pricing, USD$ exchange rate and so on) Also there is an updated version on its way. New USB interface offering much easier computer free iPhone wireless operation, RailCom, RailCom Plus in conjunction with ESU and so on...

On another note, why would ECoS make a system that you cannot connect? We have two ECoSs in use here, but you can only connect one to the other (AFAIK) via the sniffer port. This seems a little stupid to me, surely they could talk to one another through the ethernet ports and provide 4 controls AND two power districts?!

·
Destroyer of Penguins
1,415 Posts
Hi

With DCC there can only be ONE....control centre. it is not an ESU Ecos thing.

That said you can have multiple control centres to mange different busses, so you could have one for train control, one for signals, one for points, a 4 th for detection and a fifth for identification.........

But the Control of Loco's using DCC is limited to ONE.

Could Ecos allow the two to comunicate using the ecosnet bus, yes but for what purpose? I suppose it could be used as an expensive throttle, but it would still just be a dumb client for the main control centre.

Regards

Kal

·
Registered
103 Posts
QUOTE (trainsntrees @ 19 Jun 2011, 11:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

With DCC there can only be ONE....control centre. it is not an ESU Ecos thing.

That said you can have multiple control centres to mange different busses, so you could have one for train control, one for signals, one for points, a 4 th for detection and a fifth for identification.........

But the Control of Loco's using DCC is limited to ONE.

Could Ecos allow the two to comunicate using the ecosnet bus, yes but for what purpose? I suppose it could be used as an expensive throttle, but it would still just be a dumb client for the main control centre.

Regards

Kal

Yes I understand where you are coming from, however, there is still no reason why they could not be linked to allow an additional power district (use as a booster) and additional controls using ethernet or ecos bus. Currently we use is as a dumb client which is my point, it does not know what the main ecos is doing, and the power output is wasted.

Perhaps this is for another thread, but take lenz, I have two set 100s, in fact we use 5 together with the ECoS. So I have two LZV100s and two LH100s. I can use them as two totally seperate systems, or together, using CDE i can have two power districts AND two controls. so why can I not do this with the ECoS?

·
Destroyer of Penguins
1,415 Posts
Hi

I agree with you, it should also include the dymanis pro in that, but the answer is commercial. Unlike other suppliers ESU decided to create a dedicated Booster rather than allowing a existing unit to be used as either a control centre or booster.

The reasons for this I suppose is, no one is gonna pay the extra for the screen and linux server to use it as a booster. So unlike digitrax, lenz etc they dont have a cheapo ( I.e no screen) box that can do both. The box not the electronics

It was a bit of a bad move on their part I think, but it is where we are, and if you have tried to make headway on the ESU forums, you will see it is like trying to turn an oil tanker or it would be if you could ever get them to answer.

Shame is there are a few things that they could do, such as the extra ecos/dymans pro elements and allowing programing from decoder pro or ~RR&co that would make a lot of people happy, but they just do not seem to listen to anyone.

It maybe for another thread. but this is about reviewing a system, and people should be aware that the ECOS while a fantastic control centre is let down by , poor attention to detail and the worst customer support I have ever come across in any walk of life. It maybe different if you can speak German, but I cannot, though based upon some of the translations i have tried with google, seems the German forum has the same gripes.

If you buy with that knowledge in mind you will have a fantastic system but will not feel upset no one mentioned it, when you see these limitations for yourself. I think as part of a review that is a valid thing people should know.

I am an ECOS user and very happy with it, just not so happy with ESU.

Regards

KAL

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (AberdeenMRC - Mike @ 19 Jun 2011, 09:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....On another note, why would ECoS make a system that you cannot connect? We have two ECoSs in use here, but you can only connect one to the other (AFAIK) via the sniffer port. This seems a little stupid to me, surely they could talk to one another through the ethernet ports and provide 4 controls AND two power districts?!

ESU have a lot of german users with more than one ECoS, and the topic was raised by them with ESU. I raised it myself with ESU last year when the ECoS 2 was launched and ESU replied that they intended to include this in a future Firmware upgrade, but that it would take time. So far this finctionality has still to appear in the ECoS firmware.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting reading the Elite review, in fact it does have a seperate two wire connection to the programming track, it is now in Firmware V1:4. Again this is a free download. With the advent of the Railmaster system which I have tried the Elite is now very intuitive and a top notch controller, Hornby are working on a loco detection system for the Railmaster and a WiFi connection, when these come on stream they will further enhance the Elite which has been designed with the future in mind. I also use Lenz set 100 and the Wifi for this is much more expensive, I like both the Elite and the Lenz equally.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 3 Jun 2012, 23:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like the Multimaus Pro but man is it expensive.
At approximately £355 (UKL) it's the cheapest radio equipped wireless system available in the UK.
The Gaugemaster badged Prodigy Advance Wireless set being the next most affordable system at around £5 more.

Bearing in mind that the MultiMaus Pro does come bundled with the included RocoMotion software package, it then doesn't appear that expensive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im still relitivly "new" to DCC in general, so if you would want some help Id be happy to jump in and give that still fresh perspective of being new to DCC type review...I also have been working with DCC and model trains on and off so I know various things about it in some respects

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 12 Jan 2008, 07:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Good move Doug - I do so many E-replies per day on several lists and I do get sloppy - so both sorry and thank you!
I really do need to re-look at the thread title more carefully before I respond sometimes.

On the subject of samples.... joking aside I do have a couple of "soon to be released items" I'll send to you in the next week or two (I'm preparing the "beta" instructions for them now, so you'd better send me an address). I'd value an honest and direct MRRF review very much.

Re member reviews:

I really do like the "member reviews" from users very much as they are always looking from a real, fresh and very pragmatic way compared to magazines and professional reviewers.

They will often highlight things differently, which will either show that what the Mfr/Mags consider important is not the same as the "hands on modeller" sees, or that a product that seems to be just right has things that could be better explained in manuals or perhaps revised.

Sometimes a "Newer to DCC reviewer" just sees things others miss or take for granted!

Clever Mfrs would really take this sort of street level review such as MRF encourages at face value, instead of relying on magazines and PR people to do it...and instead of protesting as they often do, simply acknowledge, take note, find out why planning and perception are different and make changes....

THEN we'd all get the sort of product we'd all like lots more often!

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just so people know I figured I would toss the Bachmann E-Z Command system review up into the review thread as I felt it was a good system missing in the reviews

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I am just building a new layout using a Bachmann Dynamis controller. After the sales blurb for this system I am very disappointed with the 'remote' handset performance. I can only get it to link with the controller up to a distance of around 1.4 metres. Any further away and the signal is lost.

Second, does anyone know if it is possible to operate two turnouts simultaneously using the dynamis 'switch pilot' 4 way accessory decoder. Reading the instructions this does not seem possible. But then the instructions don't give a lot away! Or does anyone have experience of using one outlet on these decoders to operate two Peco PL-10W (low current) turnout motors? I see that Bachmann do say these decoders are sufficiently 'robust' to operate the normal Peco PL10 motor.

·
Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (Nigel Taylor @ 14 Nov 2013, 16:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am just building a new layout using a Bachmann Dynamis controller. After the sales blurb for this system I am very disappointed with the 'remote' handset performance. I can only get it to link with the controller up to a distance of around 1.4 metres. Any further away and the signal is lost.

Second, does anyone know if it is possible to operate two turnouts simultaneously using the dynamis 'switch pilot' 4 way accessory decoder. Reading the instructions this does not seem possible. But then the instructions don't give a lot away! Or does anyone have experience of using one outlet on these decoders to operate two Peco PL-10W (low current) turnout motors? I see that Bachmann do say these decoders are sufficiently 'robust' to operate the normal Peco PL10 motor.

1.4 meters does not sound right I have used this system for over 2 years with grater range than that, jus make sure it's not to close to a bright light source as this may case an issue, as for the turnout question if they always operate together then just wire them to the same control point, just remember to either reverse the polarity or rotate the point motor so they operate the correct way round.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts Anthony. I have taken down the fluorescent lights and replaced them with LED down lighters. Dynamis now works perfectly from any point in the room. I emailed Bachmann UK on this topic but received no reply to date!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Two steps forward and one step back. I am now trying to program the Bachmann Dynamis controller to operate accessory decoders to work peco point motors. I am using s separate supply to provide power to the decoders. I have tested the rig by 'flashing' this auxiliary supply output directly to the point motors they operate fine. Following the sparse Bachmann instructions with the controller and decoders I have 'programmed' the first output on the first decoder. I have selected solenoid control on the decoder. There is a 'click' attempt from the motor but the point doesn't operate. The sequence followed is:-
"Program a001"
"Program a001 on maintrack"
I get the message POM CV with '0' flashing
Bachmann suggest that with Peco motors value 1 is chosen.
I have tried selecting CV1/CV2/CV3/CV4 with value 1
I press the button on the decoder to enter learning mode. It flashes
I press program. The decoder responds with continuous led then off.
None of these settings work.
When I switch the 'handheld' off and on again. (The only way I can see to exit the programming mode) and try to change the point I just get this feeble click.
Before I throw these nine decoders in the bin and replaced them with switches does anyone have any idea what secret trick I am not doing!!

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
QUOTE (Anthony566 @ 16 Nov 2013, 00:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1.4 meters does not sound right I have used this system for over 2 years with grater range than that, jus make sure it's not to close to a bright light source as this may case an issue, as for the turnout question if they always operate together then just wire them to the same control point, just remember to either reverse the polarity or rotate the point motor so they operate the correct way round.
QUOTE Any further away and the signal is lost.

Did you mention A566, that all your, I/R system was mounted to the ceiling...........

41 - 60 of 70 Posts