Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** What are the specifications for the "Auxiliary power supply" you are using for the power to the accessory decoders? If it is not a substantial power supply of 15v or more, I would definitely not expect reliable changing of Peco Solenoids.

A "feeble click" usually indicates that power is being routed OK, but not enough to make the change happen!

Richard

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello. The auxiliary supply is 15v DC. 2.5amp rating. It operates a Peco PL10 solenoid motor with fitted Peco micro switch crisply when 'flash' connected directly. Indeed it operates 2 Peco motors in parallel perfectly well. The problem arises when the Bachmann 'switch pilot' accessory decoder is put into the circuit. I am wondering if somehow the decoder is using the Dynamis power supply instead of the auxiliary supply. It should not be as the decoder is connected as suggested by Bachmann. Namely the track bus is connected to the terminals 'track' and the auxiliary supply connected to 'power'. Positive to 'A' negative to 'B'. Any thoughts appreciated as I have spent almost £300 on these decoders!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Yes, but are they free or in points.... uninstalled peco motors change much, much easier than those fitted to a point.

A Peco motor is 4 ohms and specified for 15v. Therefore it wants 3.75 amps at the moment of throw... for a short time. That's each individual motor....

I'd suggest that a bigger supply (and more voltage) will be needed, as with internal losses (wiring and decoder internals) your 15v DC supply will not be delivering enough voltage or overall power.

The ESU/Bachmann decoders will tolerate up to 24v DC... I'd suggest at least 18v @ 5 amps if you want to be able to reliably change crossovers together - or move to a decoder with integrated CDU pwer output - this one will change 2 peco's reliably off one output and does not need a separate power supply...

There are others that also include a PSU - this is just one example that I am dead certain works every time... and is quite good value.

http://www.ehattons.com/60673/DCC_Concepts...tockDetail.aspx

regards

Richard

PS - Incidentally, this is not really the right place for this subject.. it really should be in its own thread, not in the permanently pinned "DCC systems thread" which is not a problem solving area.

REJ

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hello John

each output can manage two comfortably - ie a crossover etc...

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
QUOTE (john worley @ 18 Jan 2015, 09:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi, Looking at ROCO Z21, has anybody bought one, using one, Can you use it with your existing router. dont want to change my french system. john

Z21 Downloads

You might like to follow Kristophers Topic, on the Z21

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Does anyone know how to successfully connect the Hornby elink box to an ESU switchpilot accessory decoder in order to:- read the decoder/write to the decoder. I have followed the sparse on screen instructions provided by hornby railmaster. I have emailed Hornby and received no reply. I have emailed Bachmann and received a copy of the instructions enclosed with the decoders which make no reference to this problem. My laptop is running windows 7 and is bang up to date as is the railmaster software. I have managed, after a struggle, to get the loco's working.

I have managed to read the decoders although the readings can differ! but cannot write to them at all and of course they will not operate the points. I have 8 of these things ready for the bin.

They worked perfectly with the EZ command handheld. But anyone who has one of those will know that running much more than 1 loco on an oval track quickly becomes impossible.
or mail me

·
Edo
41 Posts
QUOTE (john worley @ 18 Jan 2015, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi, Looking at ROCO Z21, has anybody bought one, using one, Can you use it with your existing router. dont want to change my french system. john

Hi John.

Not sure if you got answers to your router question, but it's yes you can - and it's pretty easy. I bought the Z21 around the time your asked (through DCC concepts as it so happens) and am very happy with it after sorting out 2 issues with it. One was getting the existing router working, the other to program the Cobalt point motors (de/activate the self-centring using fixed accessory addresses) . Both I solved pretty quickly. The connectivity of having Loconet and RBUS (=express-bus) is great giving access to cheap current detection, servo control and so. The short protection is very good.The 3A amp capacity is pretty good too - goes a long way for me in N scale with the Cobalt IPs just nipping from it.

Steps for setting up the Z21 for your own router
The Z21 is by default on address 192.168.0.111 and because routers often only see 256 addresses in a range of addresses such as 192.168.0.xxx, it may not 'see' your Z21.

The solution then is to either [A] change the Z21 address into the visible range or change the address of your router into the 192.168.0.xxx range. My router was setup with 192.168.1.xxx range. After changing my router's address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.254 it all started working.

As said, you can also change the Z21's address by using the Z21 maintenance tool that Roco supplies. The tool PC only but I run it also on my Mac using CrossOver. I haven't tried the address changing - only spotted the option. It comes with a warning of that you may make your device unreachable after you program it and that they (Roco) can not support you if you do.

Edo

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Hi Edo,
That's interesting, I have a Z21 but haven't set it up yet as I'm still working on my layout.
When you change your routers address do yo need to reconfigure other items (PC etc.) that are on your network
Regards
Alan

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.