Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering how I could control various LED lights scatered around the layout using a DCC device to switch them on/off from the train controller (ESU Ecos). Some are from the Woodland Scenic range others are from Model Rail UK (5 platform lamps wired in series). Any help appreciated.

John

·
In depth idiot
7,846 Posts
Just use a decoder as a light switch. I don't have any static lights but have deployed a number of dud* decoders in coaches to control onboard lighting.

* Often from s/h purchases which happened to be DCC fitted, the decoder either not fully operational, or with poor motor control. Provided a decoder will accept an address it can be used as a light switch, and with the small current draw of LED's a decoder with multiple functions can control numbers of LED's in series or singly, from both the motor output and functions. (I use an address range not occupied by any loco numbers working in my area of modelling interest.)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you lack a supply of scrap loco decoders, then the "proper" way is to use Accessory Decoders. Commercially some of those can get silly-expensive, with power-handling you don't need for a few LEDs.

However, there are lots of DIY designs published on the internet, for example, using an Arduino processor, which can be assembled for well under £20/decoder (under £5/decoder is do-able). A DIY decoder can control 16 or more outputs, each individually controlled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nigel, whilst I like the idea of using something likr an Arduino processor I'm not sure I'm up to that standard of tech. I do however have several spare decoders that I like the idea of recycling, very COP26 and all that!!

·
Registered
Technical consultant. Computer Science, Automation, Statistic, AI
8 Posts
Good exercise.
Still try Arduino. It is straightforward and easy for anyone who had never done an electrical connection and a lline of code.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,952 Posts
How about using a cheap loco decoder? Solder a 100 ohm resistor across the motor output and you can set it up on the programming track and switch lights on and off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts