Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am in the process of converting my layout to DCC.

I haven't decided yet what to do regarding points, but if decide to go for DCC control of points what kit would I need please to allow this and is it essential to convert points or can they be left as they are

Similarly the same for signals

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Having gone to the trouble of wiring it all up then your best course is probably to leave it as it is - everything will still work.

If you wish to convert to DCC operation then you will need a number of accessory modules, each of which usually controls four points or signals. The cheapest are the MERG kits at around £10 a time, commerical ones are £20-40 each. They are wired to the DCC bus and often also to a separate 15Vac supply, plus of course to the things you want to control.

How these are actually operated depends on what command station you have. Most command stations will operate points from the keypad or handset. Some are quite easy to use, even allowing a group of points to be operated with a single button sequence. However with others you have to remember the number of each item and each operation may need quite a few button pushes. A conventional control panel is likely to be easier to use provided you want to operate everything from the same place.

Alternatively you can go for a separate route setting box that plugs into the DCC system, or interface to a PC running special software. Again what is available depends on what command station you have. In my view it is only worthwhile to go for DCC control of accessories if you plan to have automated signalling or automated train driving via a PC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you are using loop(s) all you need to do with Horndy DCC in put in the R8232 DCC ELECTRO POINT CLIPS with isolating point on DCC unit requiring a bus then I would imagine that you would connect power on ether split or that a similar component would work.
With reverse loops you need to use the technique explained here.
Using point motors or other similar equipment should not de necessary.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (PhilRMK @ 13 Nov 2008, 01:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am in the process of converting my layout to DCC.
Excellent choice.

QUOTE (PhilRMK @ 13 Nov 2008, 01:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I haven't decided yet what to do regarding points, but if decide to go for DCC control of points what kit would I need please to allow this and is it essential to convert points or can they be left as they are
Not essential to control points by DCC at all and often preferred by many not too. I personnaly am providing some form off DCC control of points to enable me down the track to hook up a computer based control system.

Point motors of any description can be left in place if you are happy with them and as mentioned in other answers some form of stationary accessory decoder would be required to comunicate between you DCC system and the point motor.

QUOTE (PhilRMK @ 13 Nov 2008, 01:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Similarly the same for signals
Same goes here. I am not sure if you are referring to colour light or semaphonre but you can control everything with DCC if you really want or you don't have to if you are happy with how it works. DCC Offers similar opportunities for block detection and signalling but nothing that can't be done in DC.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Unless you want to be able to set routes via the DCC controller I would tend to leave the pounts/signals as they are - provided that they are all working OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts