Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it would be possible to control a DCC layout from another room using a couple of networked PC's?

The main problem I can see is getting the signal to the USB connected DCC controller, but I guess there must be a way.

I know that there are issues with derailments etc if you are not in the same room as the layout, but ignoring that would it be possible?

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was just wondering if it was possible really.

I know you could just use a long enough cable, but I wondered if it would be possible to control a USB connected DCC controller from a networked PC.

I did a bit of searching and found a software USB server which I think may do the job. One possible implementation of this is to try controlling a friends layout via an internet connection while viewing over his webcam. Obviously he would be in the room when I was controlling his trains 'just in case'

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VNC option sounds good, but does this effectively give full control of the host computer to the person at the other end (as with Netmeeting or Remote Desktop Connection)?

Ideally we don't want the person connecting to be able to power down the host PC.

I shall have a look at it and see where it takes us.

Chris

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (markw @ 26 May 2007, 12:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>RR&Co do a network addon for their traincontroller software, that does exactly what you want. Take a look at their website..

Cheers for the heads up on RR&Co, but we are trying to do this on the cheap if we can - the cost of RR&Co is a bit out of the price range unfortunately.

Might be worth a look at the free trial tho I guess

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PC's are not in the same building, we are trying to do this over the internet.

Tried joining the computers with a VPN and then sharing the USB port with USB over Network but that couldn't find the USB server.

Ended up having a play using Netmeeting, but that was extremely laggy.

I have a feeling that this could be a non-starter at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.