Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone installed a soundtraxx lc sound /dcc into a russian decapod 2-10-0; I have never tackled anything like this before , but have read alot about deoder installs , but I want to do this in the tender and add a speaker in there as well.....bachmann has the newer series with this done already , but I wanted to try it myself and save a few $$ as well......opened the bugger up and seems doable...any help or link to someone that has done this would be appreciated

thanx jim

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
No I've never done this particular loco but a few points to help you along your way.
epoxy in the speaker you select into the speaker baffle/housing you select. It makes for a much better job than the flimsy sticky gaskets you can buy
you might want to consider fitting a mini plug between loco and tender have a look at the selection at All components
All components
obviously you should make sure your selected decoder will fit in the tender with the speaker.....beware of the available hight as this can be a problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 19 Mar 2007, 08:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No I've never done this particular loco but a few points to help you along your way.
epoxy in the speaker you select into the speaker baffle/housing you select. It makes for a much better job than the flimsy sticky gaskets you can buy
you might want to consider fitting a mini plug between loco and tender have a look at the selection at All components
All components
obviously you should make sure your selected decoder will fit in the tender with the speaker.....beware of the available hight as this can be a problem

thanx much....will do Q: if I am putting this thing in the tender can I use the plugs (2 of em) that are already connecting the Printed circuit board?

I plan to remove the pcb and then install the deoder.....other info I have read says that you need to "isolate the motor" by removing the wires on the motor from the picups r & l to the "brushes"

what the heck is a brush??? haven't found any expaination of thT TERM I am guessing this is the copper spools on any elctric motor asembly? am I close???

thanx much mk mine a dble

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Humm..............

Let go back to basic's for a few seconds. Electrically the decoder fits between the pick-ups and the motor. It's function is to rectify the power for AC to DC and to instruct the motor on how to respond. The motor must be totally isolated before fitting the decoder, if you fail to do this you will blow your decoder.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE what the heck is a brush??? haven't found any expaination of thT TERM I am guessing this is the copper spools on any elctric motor asembly? am I close???
Motor brushes are the small carbon tipped devices that allow electrical current to pass between (In the case of model trains) the wheel contacts or pick ups and the motor armature. They are normally held into place against the motors comm. by springs to ensure even pressure is maintained. The Commentator (Comm.) is the revolving part of the motor made of copper segments, this allows current and voltage to flow into the motors windings. These windings become electro magnetically charged and are repelled by the motors permanent magnets. This is what makes the motor turn when power (current) is applied. i.e. magnetic repulsion/attraction. By applying more current/voltage the faster the motor spins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 20 Mar 2007, 03:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Humm..............

Let go back to basic's for a few seconds. Electrically the decoder fits between the pick-ups and the motor. It's function is to rectify the power for AC to DC and to instruct the motor on how to respond. The motor must be totally isolated before fitting the decoder, if you fail to do this you will blow your decoder.

ok that where i am confused about the original wiring of the PCB that is in the tender. I have 2 plugs with different wires goint to the PCB via these wires.

so, if I want to put the decoder in the tender then the sets of wires coming from the loco to the pcb COULD be the same wires that would put the deoder between the pickups and the motor? i.e. is the pcb between the pickups and the motor...what is the function of the pcb>? any sites that can help me understand better the basic set up of loco electrical circuitry?

thanx jim

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I think you should buy a book DCC made easy is excellent value for money at below 10 quid it's available from Amazon.
Reading the DCC primers here will also help have a look at LisaP4 stuff you'll get the basics. It's very difficult to advise wiring without knowing the loco and how the power is transmitted to the motor. It can either be by means of pick-ups or through the chassis or a combination of this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 21 Mar 2007, 04:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you should buy a book DCC made easy is excellent value for money at below 10 quid it's available from Amazon.
Reading the DCC primers here will also help have a look at LisaP4 stuff you'll get the basics. It's very difficult to advise wiring without knowing the loco and how the power is transmitted to the motor. It can either be by means of pick-ups or through the chassis or a combination of this.

agree...I'm clsoe to the wiring understandig , but not sure about the placing of the decoder in the tender and removal of the PCB..in there as I don't know what the heck it does...

thanx for the book referral

jim

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sound in Bachmann Decapod. I did a few a long time ago when the DSD150's were new before the LC series came out. I wouldn't fit an LC as it's dinosaur technology go a for Tsnumai instead either a light or medium steam should suffice. The PC board as provided only requires the socket the rest of the rubbish on the board is for DC use. If you toss the PC board the pin outs from the socket on the loco is usually the two outer pins are pickups the next inner pair are motor pickups and the very inside pair are lights. Now this doesn't always hold true for Bachmann locos as the Chinese factory has a horrible habit of changing the wiring of the loco socket and conversely the plugs on the tender. Get yourself a multi meter and use it to identify the pinouts on the loco socket. You'll need to take the body off to check the motor terminals. From this ypu can idetify the pin functions and wire the decoder in accordinly.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (hosteammann @ 22 Mar 2007, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>agree...I'm clsoe to the wiring understandig , but not sure about the placing of the decoder in the tender and removal of the PCB..in there as I don't know what the heck it does...

thanx for the book referral

jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts