Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just got some Bachmann 36-553 decoders. I have fitted one as a test into a Horny Class 37. This is an old train with no DCC socket, so I bought the bits from Maplin and fitted a socket to the train and plugged the decoder in.

Testing on a DC circuit (I dont have a DCC controller yet, but hoping to get an ECoS when a UK store has one!) I found th etrain will only run in one direction. Reversing direction on the controler, the train just sits there. I've checked all my wiring out and have no shorts, and everything goes to the correct pins.

I made sure I insulated the LH metal strip on the motor, so no shorts there.

Have I killed this decoder? I dont want to try converting my other trains yet until I can get this one right.

Many Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Neil,

No I haven't tried wiring it in without the socket. I have been through the wiring of it throughly with a multimeter and can find no problems. Nothing is shorting, and the correct pins seem to end up at the correct place. I wanted it socketed so I can experiment with other decoders (eg Loksound).

I tried South West Digital - They're out of stock for at least two weeks As are Digitrains and DCC Supplies

Thanks for your help

Chris

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I always check a decoder before installation with my decoder tester, this can save a lot of frustration for a small amount of money. I think you can buy one from Bromsgrove Models although mine came from LoysToys. I cannot understand the desire to fit a plug to a non DCC loco, why not had wire it, your installation will be easier, less prone to error, and just as easy to remove and return to DC in the future.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm assuming you've checked to make sure the decoder will run on DC by default.

If not, you will need to program the decoder to run on DC - without a DCC system this becomes rather difficult!

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. According to the manual DC Control is enabled by default (see http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/3-function_decoder.pdf).

As for why I wanted the socket. This train is kind of an experiment, and was thinking about trying a Loksound in it later on.

I have a feeling I may have killed the decoder when I was doing some continuity checks, for got to unplug it when I used the multimeter on it.. DOH!

I've got some spare decoders, so I'll try that.

Or there again, I'll just wait till I've got a controller :)

Thanks for your help

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've found out what had happened. The motor in the loco seems to have a very high resistance (about 50Ohms), compared to 8Ohms on the Eurostar, so I'm guessing that fried the decoder.

I got the Hornby Pendolino set today, and also bought a Hornby Class 59 and Hornby Class 60, both DCC Ready. I tested the decoder I thought I'd fried in the 59, and was right. The select unit just kept rebooting with that on the track. My 4 other Bachman 36-553s that I bought I tested and all worked fine.

The class 90 in Load Haul livery is really nice, lots of detail, and really great low speed. My Dad was starting to get jealous of my digital layout, as his is still DC :)

Just waiting for my ECoS and a Sound Decoder :)

Thanks for all your earlier help

Chris

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I have a Kato N BLS Re 465 locomotive that I won on eBay and came (without it saying so in the auction) with a TCS M1? decoder fitted. My layout is DC and it runs extremely well in one direction but lurches in short repeat bounds in the other direction. The decoder was hard wired in because the model didn't have a socket. I'm quite happy with this since DCC is planned for my layout shortly but perhaps you were experiencing a similar thing. My advice is to test the decoder on a proper DCC layout before you throw it away. They are designed to handle large currents and get hot etc.

Goedel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 30 Mar 2007, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Kato N BLS Re 465 locomotive that I won on eBay and came (without it saying so in the auction) with a TCS M1? decoder fitted. My layout is DC and it runs extremely well in one direction but lurches in short repeat bounds in the other direction. The decoder was hard wired in because the model didn't have a socket. I'm quite happy with this since DCC is planned for my layout shortly but perhaps you were experiencing a similar thing. My advice is to test the decoder on a proper DCC layout before you throw it away. They are designed to handle large currents and get hot etc.

Goedel

Hi Goedel,

I got the Pendolino set today which is DCC, and tested it on that, and all it did was make the controller reboot. On DC it would run in one direction, but not run at all in the other. I tried it in a DCC ready locomotive, and found it totally dead.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now that's strange the overload and short circuit protection built into the decoder should have protected it. The only way to fry it would have been to swop a pickup wire , either red or black, for a motor wire, either gray or orange. With this situation thats what you would have got runs fine one way but not the other. On DCC the command station would have seen it as a short and shut down. Now depending on what make of DCC system you used to test the decoder you would either have had to reset the system via the throttle or the system would reset every 30seconds untill the short cicuit was removed. You may not have fried the decoder so try to do a factory reset, then on the programming track do a read back of the default CV's 1,2,3,4 and 29. The default values will be listed with decoder information sheet but a quick check is to read back CV 1 = default 3 which is the base address used by all NMRA conforming decoders. Don't rely on a multi meter for a continunity test always place the loco on the programming track and do a readback of the default CV's. The command station will inform you if you have a short circuit or not. Also be aware that some older locos have a pretty heavy current draw that can exceed the stall current of the decoder which if exceeded will let all the factory smoke out which is a bad thing. As MMD say's get a decoder testing kit and check that the decoder is healthy prior to fitting. After fitting never place the loco on the mainline, always check on the programming track first. Some manufacturers warranty will only apply if the decoder is fitted by their representative and not if self fitted which lead to extra expense.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Chris Glover @ 31 Mar 2007, 07:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Goedel,

I got the Pendolino set today which is DCC, and tested it on that, and all it did was make the controller reboot. On DC it would run in one direction, but not run at all in the other. I tried it in a DCC ready locomotive, and found it totally dead.

Thanks

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts