Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Brian new to the forum.Can anybody advise me how to fit a DCC decoder to the M7.
There were no instructions at all supplied with the new DCC ready loco Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Waghorn @ 29 Jun 2008, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi I'm Brian new to the forum.Can anybody advise me how to fit a DCC decoder to the M7.
There were no instructions at all supplied with the new DCC ready loco Thanks

Thanks poliss The site was ideal,everything I needed.Pictures as well.Thanks again Waghorn

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (Waghorn @ 29 Jun 2008, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks poliss The site was ideal,everything I needed.Pictures as well.Thanks again Waghorn
I have a TCS DP2X-UK in my M7 - fits directly into the socket with no need to remove any castings. The body refit requires a slight juggle to ensure that the decoder had slipped into the boiler/smokebox.

Understand that the ZTC4007 fits similarly but have bad experience of that decoder myself and have read elsewhere of various problems with them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome to the forum (and as usual you can get anm answer to most questions. No silly questions here and very few silly answers (except from me))

The Hornby website is a good source of information on fitting dcc (to Hornby locos)

A very useful site for the enthusist is

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/wwwtips.htm#a2

with good theory, electronis and links to other sites

Have fun (as the primary aim)

Basil

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The problem with a lot of web pages is that they were written with regard to the decoders then available. Many refer to extinct Lenz decoders and Hornby look at their own.

The TCS DP2X-UK changes an awful lot of decoder installing guides as it is a direct fit into the 8 pin socket and only slightly larger than a plug. With 2 function outputs it suits virtually all UK locos with such a socket. Some that have the socket mounted very high can only just accept a plug and in these a traditional decoder on a lead is neccessary ie the Bachmann Standard 4 tank. There is no need to find a flat area to stick the decoder to, no dangling of the decoder in the boiler space and no need to carefully watch for any decoder wires when refitting the body.

The ZTC4007 is similar but some users have had problems with it (and it lead mounted version as described in the latest Hornby Mag)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 20 Jul 2008, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The problem with a lot of web pages is that they were written with regard to the decoders then available. Many refer to extinct Lenz decoders and Hornby look at their own.

The TCS DP2X-UK changes an awful lot of decoder installing guides as it is a direct fit into the 8 pin socket and only slightly larger than a plug. With 2 function outputs it suits virtually all UK locos with such a socket. Some that have the socket mounted very high can only just accept a plug and in these a traditional decoder on a lead is neccessary ie the Bachmann Standard 4 tank. There is no need to find a flat area to stick the decoder to, no dangling of the decoder in the boiler space and no need to carefully watch for any decoder wires when refitting the body.

The ZTC4007 is similar but some users have had problems with it (and it lead mounted version as described in the latest Hornby Mag)
The TCS DP2X-UK sounds very interesting butler could you let me know where it is available from Cheers. Waghorn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts