Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
3,005 Posts
Probably covering some of what's been said but it sounds (no pun intended) as though you have your loco's. If this is the case they may or may not have sockets. If you have the boxes it's usually marked on them by the manufacturer. In quite a few cases you can have a 'DCC ready' loco that doesn't actually have space for a sound decoder and a speaker. I and numerous others have been doing away with the sockets and hard wiring, which with most loco's isn't too difficult. Sometimes the loco or tender has to be modified a bit for all of this to fit, including stay alive* units for faultless running. Being able to solder small components is a help.
I use Zimo decoders from Digitrains in Lincoln with Paul Chetter sound files, also from them. I'm not knocking ESU but their decoders are just too complicated for me to set up/adjust. I have one ESU sound decoder because Paul didn't do a file for my Bachmann Deltic. I can't get it to start as smoothly as any Zimo so I'll stay with them.

* Lais, sold by Digitrains and others no doubt are four tiny high capacity capacitors that come in a package with a charging circuit ready to use. Using these and live frog (electrofrog) points gives perfectly smooth slow running.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts