Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
C55
2,653 Posts
Hi,
NCE is very good and can be expanded very simply, should you want to. It's not the only one, but is simple and good to use.

The number of pins for any, fitted, loco socket is normally stated on the box and in the detailed description of any loco. There are many manufacturers who make the various decoders, with the appropriate number of pins to fit the sockets. Some are better than others, particularly the sound equipped ones. There is plenty of advice from many experienced people on this Forum and I will refrain from adding anything here, as I only have 9 with sound, of a variety of sources.

There are also a number of very good suppliers, who are very willing to talk you through purchases, from getting the right sounds, through to how best to fit them.

Best regards

Julian

·
C55
2,653 Posts
Re what decoder will fit aside from getting one with the correct pins for the socket there is also often a space issue with 6 and 8 pin decoders - suggest a web search for decoder fit {make of model} { model} should bring up peoples experiences. One 6/8 pin decoder can be huge and another quite small.
As said above, size / shape will, absolutely, be an issue that you will need to look at. That said, a solution can be found, when purchasing the sound decoder, if you buy the decoder, ready loaded from one of the companies that sell the complete packages. As an example, a company called Youchoos, do exactly that [along with Coastal Digital, DC - Kits, South West Digital, Legomanbiffo - a Google for Sound Decoders will give several more - all good]. Not for any specific reason, other than as an example, you could browse through Youchoos web pages to see how detailed / specific their packages are, in relation to a loco you would want to add sound to.
YouChoos
Each one is specific to a loco and manufacturer. They also have very detailed guides for how to fit to various loco types, if you are doing it yourself. They solve many of the questions you might have, as they have been there many times before you / us.

They [and others] will also fit it for you, if you would like them to. I asked a gentleman to fit some German N Gauge sounds, because he had the decoders and loaded the sounds - because getting one of the German manufacturer's decoders, from them / their suppliers, was about as successful as shouting up at Everest and expecting the Yeti to come on out, for a chat!!! 🤬

Julian
PS. Youchoos are very good - as are the others I mentioned and several more - similar services are offered by all the good ones, so you can see what help you can get, before chatting to them, they do make life so, very much, easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts