Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone seen or used the dcc supplies digihat item that states it makes converting non dcc n gauge locos to run dcc without a lot of butchering?

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I've been told you don't need to do alot of drilling.

What you have to be careful of is that you are only relying on the very small brush spring to transmit all of the current to the brush!

If you have a short circuit there is the possibilty that the spring could just fry, the converted brush not only have the spring but the brass brush as well!

Just something to be careful of, not used one but have been told this quite few times.

Ian

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 6 Oct 2007, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been told you don't need to do alot of drilling.
I've converted a few using the method for the std4 at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DCCUK/files/...nstalls/Farish/

QUOTE What you have to be careful of is that you are only relying on the very small brush spring to transmit all of the current to the brush!

If you have a short circuit there is the possibilty that the spring could just fry, the converted brush not only have the spring but the brass brush as well!
What kind of short?

The spring is in a series circuit consisting of the decoder outputs, brush clip, spring, brush, motor armature, opposite brush, spring and clip. If you can get enough current sustained for long enough to destroy the spring then I would be far more concerned about the motor and the decoder. Any decent decoder these days is overload protected.

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts