Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd one for you all here.

My N layout consists of basically two separate layouts one on each side of the room, joined by an interconnecting bridge. One is DCC (DIY!) controlled at the moment and the other is standard DC.

I am still to decide on a final DCC system, so the hornby Select is running the DCC side of the layout to allow me to get locos fitted with decoders, tested etc.

On some of my locos, I have noticed that when I run some of my DCC fitted locos on the DC layout the lights do not work - - mainly those fitted with the basic hornby decoder. The lights operate correctly under DCC control

Has anyone else come across this kind of problem before? It could be a Hornby decoder issue - I need to check all my locos to be sure if its just the hornby ones that have the problem.

I do not recall any CV's that stop lights working on a DC track ? Anyone with any thoughts on this?

PS I am seriously considering getting the Fleischmann Twin-centre - does anyone know if the cheapo hornby decoders work with this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi dualfuel
My understanding of DCC decoders working on DC rails is that only the motor function is enabled. i.e. The very basic of function is available.
I may be wrong and stand corrected if someone else can come on and say differently.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I studied the TCS manuals a while ago, they certainly have some CVs to control which functions operated on DC and IIRC directional lighting was possible. They also pointed out that there are some good reasons to deactivate a function in DC, for example if you wire one side of a light to the red or black wires instead of the blue wire, it will receive twice the voltage under DC.

My guess would be that unless the decoder manual specifically talks about functions operating on DC, then they won't!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Don't think its just a Hornby issue - I have loco's with decoders from Lenz 1024/5, 1035, silver & gold as well as Fleischmann, ESU & a few "oddments". The lights never seem to operate correctly on DC analogue !

I cannot see any reason that the FLM Twin Centre will not operate as well if not better than the Select with the Hornby decoders - the TC is a nice bit of kit, albeit a little dated now (we use the TC on St.Laurent).

I take it you are going to buy the TC in a starter set - very cost-effective way of getting one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my Twin centre now and I am very pleased with it - only cost me £140, found it advertised in a local paper! I can confirm it works much better with the cheapo hornby decoders than the Hornby select does!

Now I have something decent to program the decoders with I can experiment more with the CV's for lights to see if can conclude what does / doesn't work on DC analouge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts