Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm new here so first I'd like to say hello to everyone on this forum. Secondly I hope that I'm not repeating a question that has been asked in the past. I've had a quick look through the last 10 pages of the forum and also tried searching so hope I've not missed something. I know how annoying it is to have to repeatedly answer the same questions again and again. (Get that in my line of work, I'm a support assistant in a special school for children with autism by the way. I'm also reknown on forums for making posts longer than they need to be. Sorry.
)

Right I'll get on with the issue at hand. I've recently purchased a number of Dapol and Ixion locos (though some haven't yet arrived):

Cookham Manor - Class 7800 'Manor' GWR 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive. (Ixion)
Evening Star - Class 9F BR 2-10-0 Steam Locomotive. (Dapol)
D7017 - Class 35 'Hymek' Bo-Bo Diesel Locomotive (with hydraulic transmission). (Dapol)
E6040 or 73136 (The Bluebell Railway?) - Class 73 Bo-Bo 3rd Rail / Diesel Locomotive. (Dapol)

Each of these come fitted as standard with a socket for a NEM 651 6pin DCC Chip. If possible I'd like to fit a chip that allows both fine motor control and realistic sound and would like some advice on what would be best. Other than the locos I don't presently have a layout setup or a DCC controller of any kind (I'd also need to purchase one) so am only limited in what is suitable by the locos themselves. One thing I could see myself wanting to do further down the line is to be able to run my DCC layout via a computer. Smoke, carrage lights, etc... would be interesting but I don't think I'm ready yet but future flexibility for such options might be worth planning for. As so far I seem to be aiming for locos that are preserved programmable DCC Sound chips may also be an interesting idea for as much realism as possible.

I also own two other locos but don't know how easy these would be to chip. These are:

5530 - Class 5101 GWR 2-6-2T Slope Tank Locomotive. (Dapol) [I don't know if this loco has a socket or not.]
Sir Nigel Gresley - A4 'Pacific' 4-6-2 Locomotive. (Minitrix)

Thank you for your help and assistance. All the best, David.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.