Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
QUOTE (RayL @ 24 Dec 2008, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whats next?

Whilst you still have the chance.

Why not slip a simple DPDT rocker switch into your circuit to make the layout DCC/DC switchable? In this way you are able to run those loco's not yet fitted with chips or those DC locos you feel are impractical to fit with them.

Mike

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
QUOTE (RayL @ 26 Dec 2008, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mike - Can you please explain the DPDT rocker switch to enable both DCC or DC running, at this stage I guess I can still incorporate anything.

Sure.

At this stage, as I understand it, you have;-
a] A dc controller
b] A dcc controller
c] A power bus wired to your layout.

What you need to do is insert a DPDT rocker switch connecting the two controllers to the power bus. Something like this from Maplin will do. (cost about £1.70.)

You connect both controllers to the switch using the end terminals - dc to one end, dcc to the other, like this.

The centre terminals are connected directly to your power bus. The only thing you have to ensure is that you have positive down one side of the switch and negative down the other.

By including a switch like this, depressing the switch will change the power running to the rails to either dc operation or dcc and gives you the best of both worlds as you can run what you want, when you want.

Word of warning though. Make sure none of your dc engines are on the live track when switching to dcc or they will start singing (sometimes accompanied by vibration) and you may eventually burn the motors out. The singing is caused by the dc motors receiving an alternating current and the poor old motors don't know whether to go forwards or backwards - so they sing and shake as a way of complaining. Maybe an idea to have all dc engines stabled on isolated sections when running dcc - could be 'on shed' etc.

Hope this helps.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts